[3830] ARRL Jan VHF W1XM Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhawk@mit.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF W1XM Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 04:18:52 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  178    36  Total Score = 9,432

Club:

Comments:

Just not a lot of activity, and not the most serious effort on our part.
Plus problems.
And slept in on Sunday.

Noise everywhere just seems worse, a steadily worsening decline of our ability
to hear. Every time General Electric announces a move to Boston, that's another
3 dB of noise floor right there. Where does it all end?

Plus, 432 went deaf. Likely suspect is the rig (TS2000), but could be some kind
of preamp or antenna issue. Also the rig seems to like to switch from sideband
to FM when tuning shortly after booting (...)

1296 transverter has a drifting oscillator. Nobody wanted to go disassemble it
outside in this weather (hey, it was 50F!), but it sure messed up sideband
transmit audio.
Best quote: "You sound like Donald Duck. But not in a sideband kind of
way." Drafting was worse Saturday than Sunday though. (colder temps?)

Also, the 2ndary 2m antenna seems to be a bit more marginal. Was not very
useful for contacts, had measurable SWR.

Best DX was N3HBX/FM19 (366 mi), followed by VE3KKL/FN25 (292 mi).
Also shoutout to K2LIM/FN12.

I guess K8GP was the one that got away, since we heard them oh-so-briefly (I
think), dunno, probably in FM19.

Sorry this is such a boring soapbox! Oh yeah, two footpedals broke. At least
there were spares/parts.