[3830] CQ160 CW K8CC Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8cc@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K8CC Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 04:46:13 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K8CC
Operator(s): K8CC
Station: K8CC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 1:10

Total:  QSOs = 134  State/Prov = 43  Countries = 0  Total Score = 13,846

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I spent Friday night down at K9TM's station near Toledo participating with Tim
in a part-time multi-op effort, that for me was an opportunity to use his Hi-Z
3L triangle verticals receive array.  Shortly after sunrise Saturday AM, I
drove back home, grabbed some shut-eye and ran some Saturday errands.  Late
Saturday night, I had a chance to get on from my own station.

Rig: FT-1000D, KPA-500 @ 500W output
TX Ant: 140' shunt fed tower
No RX ants

About 0500Z, I found a clear spot near 1806, called CQ and started a nice run.
The band was noisy but sigs were strong.  By 0600Z, I had 126 stations in the
log, but no DX (due my lack of Rx antennas, no doubt). I was hearing 4V1TL
well, but he turned away my call saying "EU ONLY".  Funny, but no EU
was calling him - it occurs to me that a quick 5 point QSO with me would have
been more beneficial to his score than the Europeans who weren't calling him
:-)

Turned the radio off @ 060ZZ. Got back on for 8 QSOs in the last 10 minutes to
wrap it up.

Why are the ops in this contest so impatient?  I'd call CQ, and when my rig
switches back to receive the station calling me is already sending the second
or third letter of their call!  #@!#@%$#  No, it's not a VOX delay problem, my
computer controls the xcvr T/R and switches back immediately after sending the
last CW element.  I saw the same problem while operating from K9TM.

73, Dave/K8CC