[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K1RZ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF K1RZ Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 14:23:03 -0500 (EST)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 11:23:01 -0800 (PST)

                    ARRL January VHF Contest

Call: K1RZ
Operator(s): K1RZ
Station: K1RZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 27

    6:  117    28
    2:  174    34
  222:   76    24
  432:   99    25
  903:   41    15
  1.2:   47    15
  2.3:   27    10
  3.4:   17     7
  5.7:   10     7
  10G:   13     7
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  624   172  Total Score = 263,504

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Another one in the books.  Overall I felt quite successful in the way the
contest went and the conditions as they were, especially for a January.   I can
remember a few years ago an ice storm event that took me off everything except
50 MHz in the January contest.  Since September repairs at K1RZ that were very
successful were a new transfer relay at tower top for 1296 (thanks to Jeff
K1TEO for pointing out that I had little signal on 1296 in September).  Also
the new 432 preamp was very helpful as the old one had become
&quot;subtley&quot; noisy, and the new 432 pre-amp actually â??pre-ampedâ??).

Some memorable moments include working with ease Gedas W8BYA EN70jt on 432 CW
with him running 30W, Fred N1DPM in FN32qb on 2304 for his &quot;longest
contact ever&quot; on that band, and Dale AF1T in FN43cd on 903.  Also worked
K1TEO â??reliablyâ?? through 3.4, plus Jeff's neighbor Paul K1GX (FN31tt) thru
2304 - they both are becoming routine.  And this time I worked K8TQK with his
bottom four antennas stuck west/southwest, and then with Bob on the microwaves
antennas that would rotate, up thru 2304 (as per usual, regardless of
conditions).   And, &quot;no&quot; the mid-Atlantic was not involved in the
Gulf Coast / Central US tropo that the 4â??s, 5â??s and 8â??s experienced.
K8TQK worked several 5â??s on 2 meters because Bob's bottom four antennas were
stuck that way.

In addition there were a number of Rovers out there as follows:  K8GP and NN3Q
providing lots of contacts across the bands and the grids.  K2EZ Andrea went
thru 29 grids and activated 27 grids (made at least one Q in those 27 grids).
She started in FM19aw and continued to Houston TX!!!  Andrea did get into the
Gulf / Central US openings using her lower four with omniâ??s.  I also worked
rovers KJ4FUT (Matthew and 8 year old daughter Betsy â?&quot; with Betsy doing
â??muchâ?? of the talking â?&quot; must have been a delightful experience for
father and daughter).  Also worked W3ICC, AB4CR, K1DS, KJ1K roving - and this
was one week after the 30 inch blizzard in much of the Mid Atlantic region.
Which meant there were special challenges at each site for the Rovers,
requiring chains, shovels and kitty litter to keep moving off those hill tops.

All-and-all I had a really good time.

73 Dave  K1RZ  FM19jh