[3830] ARRLDX CW N7GP(N5IA) SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5ia@zia-connection.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N7GP(N5IA) SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 02:34:14 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N7GP
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N5IA

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: AZ - DM52
Operating Time (hrs): 7:13
Remote Operation

  160:  122    36
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  122    36  Total Score = 13,068

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I started late, at 0530 Friday night, due to evening obligations.  I found Top
Band with fair conditions.  Propagation was good out to a couple of thousand
miles but nearly zilch beyond that.  All the Caribbean expeditions and the
northern South American stations were worked quite easily.  By EU sunrise I had
managed to put CU2DX, CR3W, CU2KG and D4C for the best DX.  No EU mainland
stations were heard.

I CQed directly to ZL at their sunset with no response.  I did hear ZL3IX CQing
for EU-only with a VERY GOOD signal, but Greg ignored NA who answered him.

Early JA propagation was quite poor.  I managed 4 JA Qs before going to bed at
0900 with no further responses to my CQs toward the Pacific.

I got up at 1200 and the band was in somewhat better condition to JA and UA0.
In 2 hours I worked 49 JA plus RM0F, RT0C, and AH2R.  The signals kept
improving towards my sun rise, peaking at sunrise.  The last Q went into the
log at 1410 with two Qs after my sunrise being 100 Watt stations.

Night two was the usual for this contest; just wait around for the all band
single ops to make their short appearances and hope to find them.  Night two
yielded only 28 Qs but fortunately among those 28 were 8 new Mults.

There never was any opening at all to EU and the two contacts with the
mainland, one CT and one EA, both came right at EU sunrise.  ZP5A was a good
catch, CQing with few takers, at 0737.  Direct CQing to ZL at their sunset
again produced zero responses.  Apparently the Tonga DXped never got their 160
antenna on the air.  I went off to bed at 0800.

Up at 1200 and the band was surprisingly quiet.  I worked a number of low power
JA stations with one giving a 50 power report.  But, not many stations were on
the air it seems.  I believe in the end I worked every station that I heard
even a whisper of, sometimes taking 4-5 minutes to get all the information.

12 additional JA stations were logged plus Kim, HL5IVL, for the last mult.

I would like to thank the great JA operators who are the ones who truly provide
the only opportunity for a decent score in this contest from out west.  Of the
122 Qs, SIXTY FIVE were with JA.  A total of FIFTY THREE PERCENT of my log is
with JA.

Some brief stats:

JA = 65

KP2 = 7