[3830] CQ160 SSB C6ANM Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ne1b@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB C6ANM Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 03:06:52 +0000
CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: C6ANM
Operator(s): N1GN NE1B
Station: C6ANM

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: Bahamas
Operating Time (hrs): 16

Total:  QSOs = 517  State/Prov = 50  Countries = 27  Total Score = 206,514

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Murphy visited us early in the 160 torture test.  Computer interface died.  This
is a Field Day setup here, once a year.  Anyway, we dried up the well with
contacts on the 1st nite.  Very few new ones to work 2nd nite, although cndx to
EU were better.  The issue with SSB on 160 is splatter.  So we had to work thru
the US layer to make a EU QSO.  Tough going!  We had 517 Qs, 27 Countries, 50
States and Provinces.  Missed WY, UT, MT, SD and VE1, VE8.  Almost got SD.
Best and funniest DX was Belarus, EU1WW.  He called us on our Run freq. which
was also the Run freq for OK1KUW.  We had been hearing OK1KUW CQing and felt he
heard us, but despite me calling him, he never acknowledged me.  So we continued
CQing and getting contacts.  Then EU1WW called him with a huge signal and asked
him to take a minute break so he could make the contact with us.  The OK1 stood
by and I got Belarus in the log.  Finally, later on, the OK1 got louder and I
called him to make another new country in the log and rewarded him with the Run
frequency.

Overall, 160 SSB is a tough contest.  Hard to stay awake and aggressive with
splatter and not enough beverage antennas to null out the QRM and max the
desired signal.  We only put out one beverage...500' South West due to
boundaries here.  Most times the beverage was the best RX ant., but maybe 20%
of the weekend we were RXing on the Inverted L.