[3830] ARRLDX SSB NA6O SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB NA6O SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 03:56:25 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: NA6O
Operator(s): NA6O
Station: NA6O

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Livermore, CA
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:   1      1
   40:   8      7
   20:  14     13
   15:   7      7
   10:  13     11
-------------------
Total:  43     39  Total Score = 5,031

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

TS-590s, KPA500, verticals, low dipoles.

Goal: Trying for DXCC on SSB. Another year or so should do it. SSB and DX do
not go together from this pea-shooter station. Not at all.

Operating protocol: If my S meter is moving AND he has no callers, then it's
worth trying. CQ in my face is the usual result, even when they're not busy. I
will call for no more than 10 minutes in any case. Do not waste effort on
countries already confirmed. Managed to work 5 EU this time, which is not bad.
They are always buried in East-coast stations, nearly impossible to work. For
instance 9A1A was nice and strong but I never got thru. But it was cool to hear
a guy with a Southern accent operating there. Saturday was definitely better
than Sunday. 10 was by far my easiest band.

Uncle Gary's Awards and Novelties Department:

Best audio: Actually, I heard many great-sounding contest stations, both DX and
NA. My favorite was KL7SB. Steve sounded like he was here in the room with me.

Widest signal: TG9ANF, a full 5 kHz, all the time.

Breakthrough: XE2X is my first and only SSB QSO on 80 meters!

Welcome back: W7RM. Great to hear that grandest of calls again.

ATNO: 4S7BBG. Of course, I had to switch to CW to work this one :-)