[3830] ARRLDX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 04:37:21 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 26.5

  160:    0     0
   80:    3     2
   40:   20     9
   20:   65    37
   15:  169    67
   10:  118    49
-------------------
Total:  375   164  Total Score = 184,500

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  40-80 Meters: Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials

Conditions were certainly off the peak of the last several years, but they were
still quite decent. On 10 Meters, Sunday was remarkably improved over Saturday.
On Saturday, I only heard one European station on 10 Meters: CR2X and I was
able to work them. But on Sunday 10 Meters was wide open to all of Europe for
about 3 hours. For about 20 minutes I got every station I called and my 5 watt
station got several spontaneous comments on how strong my signal was!

My best QSO was a 40 M SSB QSO with BA5CW. China is quite difficult for me to
work, and I never thought I'd ever work China on 40 SSB.

10 M. Two T32 stations were active and easy to work form out here. There was
the wonderful opening to Europe on Sunday where I worked 35 Europeans.

15 M. I was able to work lots of Europeans on both days.

20 M. I got into zone 18 several times which is a tough path over the pole for
a 5 watt signal from here.

40 M. The big Q here was the BA5CW QSO.

80 M. All I could squeeze out here was 2 KH6s and an XE.

160 M. I no longer put up my inverted L for this contest since I often can't
get a single Q. In CQ World Wide, I can get VE and a couple zones, but nothing
in this one.

My DXCC was 70 and I had 26 zones. This compares to 77-88 and 27-28 during the
peak years. And my score is down from between 200K and 300K over the last few
years. So the conditions are definitely taking their toll!

It's still a lot of fun, but it is different. I can get a great thrill out of
making a Q that I would have taken for granted a couple years ago.

See you in the WPX SSB. However, our big Easter family get together will surely
put a huge cut in my op time!

73,   Bill Parker  W8QZA - W6QU