[3830] ARRLDX SSB N2IC SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N2IC SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 16:03:49 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N2IC
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 29

  160:
   80:
   40: 1025    98
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1025    98  Total Score = 301,350

Club:

Comments:

I have done so many single-op, all-band, high-power efforts over the years,
that, frankly, I am a little bored, and have started to look at other
categories. I never considered single-40 until last Wednesday, when K8IA posted
the link to the ARRL Phone records on the AOCC reflector. Hmmmm. W5 record on 40
meters is around 200K. That equates to about 800 QSO's. A formidable target from
my extreme southwest W5 NM QTH, but doable with the right conditions.

The GOOD:

Conditions to Europe were very good, both nights. I could run (well, crawl)
Europeans for several hours, both nights. Listening to the east coast guys,
there were several layers of Europe that were completely inaudible here, so I
hesitate to call conditions "excellent".

There has been an increase in contest activity from YB and DU. It's not like
JA, but now exceeds the activity from China.

The DISAPPOINTING:

Multipliers. Despite consciously focusing on multipliers I still needed after
Friday night, not a peep heard from ZS, UN, TK, Z3 and a few others I expected
to work. The Sunday morning long path yielded 0 new QSO's, despite booming
signals from US1I and RX6LG. The only mult I heard, that I missed, was Turkey.

European kilowatts, Kilowatts, and KILOWATTS. The kilowatts are the KW stations
that answered my CQ's, but were weak despite their power. Poor antennas, I
presume. The Kilowatts are the KW guys who have decent antennas, and operate
split frequency because they can't compete against the KILOWATTS. The KILOWATTS
are the owners of 7135-7200, all night. Sorry, but I don't believe that any of
them were running less than 1500 watts.

The BAD:

For the first time in many years, I had an intentional jammer following me
around on Friday night. Some kind of audio feedback generator that he
broadcasted for many minutes at a time. For a while, I just played hopscotch
jumping around between 2 different CQ frequencies. He is an equal-opportunity
jammer - I heard him jamming a ragchew group on 7155 after the band closed to
DX. He is located NW of me, in North America.

UX1LW needs to quit operating from a remote station in the USA, and claiming to
be in the Ukraine. This is not the first time he has done this.

In the end, I achieved my goal of exceeding the existing W5 record. It was even
fun, thanks to good conditions. Congratulations to KI1G, K3EST and W7WA on their
great scores. Single-40 was popular this year !

A few QSO stats:
EU - 354
JA - 443
DU - 16