[3830] ARRLDX SSB N1UR SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, edsawyer@sbelectronics.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N1UR SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 18:39:08 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 44.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   62    36
   80:  310    62
   40:  705    81
   20: 1051   103
   15: 1367   111
   10:  480    81
-------------------
Total: 3975   474  Total Score = 5,586,120

Club:

Comments:

Well, that was a blast.  I must be wierd.  I like SSB contests!
I like CW contests just as much.  I just don't dislike SSB
contests like many of the score reporters seem to mention.
Honestly, if ts not fun, why do it?  Its not for girls, money,
or fame right?

I thought that conditions were a more enjoyable blend than last
year.  160 - 40 were much more workable than last year until the
flare.  So the Sunday afternoon 40M run was a bust.  But 10 and
15 were still hoppin' so that made for a different but fun ending.
I think that 705 Qs on 40M SSB for this contest may be a USA record
for SOAB entry. (Not including the VE boys).

20M was a nice workhorse band with more room than 15M.  I stayed
there late both mornings to work tons of Russians including UA9/0
by the bucket full.  Lots of fun.

15M was obviously the money band but clearly the hardest to work
from the congestion.  Especially if you got there late or was
running on 10M and tried to come back - which I did both days.
JA run on 15M again.  Last year I thought could be the end of it.
When I went to 15M at 2130Z o n Saturday, the first signal I heard
was a JA over S9 and I said WOW!  So that was fun.  I will say - wait
until next year - this time!

10M was fun as a rarer state.  I did some running in the 14 and 15Z hours
both days.  There was good activity even before getting spotted.
EUs were steadily tuning the bands looking for states on 10M!  Then a
big pop would come when spotted (thank you).  But it would last for maybe
10 mins and die out.  But still the steady rate was decent - maybe 90 an
hour for a few hours - with of course lots of mults.  I tried running
when the EA/CT opening was happening as the flare got started Sunday but
it was loud but light in volume.  Not worth doing vs the other stuff
going on at the time.

I also did a little running on 160M.  Probably 30 mins total.  I worked
about 20 stations that way.  Probably 7 or 8 mults.  And interestingly
2 of them asked me to move to 80M and one was a double for me as well.
The band was more open both nights than the activity.  I even got spotted
according to my review this morning. But it didn't explode as I would have
thought given it was probably me or no one for VT on 160 (as far as running
went).

Rates - Amazing at times.  Best clock rate of 227 on 20M and best 60 MIN of
235.
I believe the 235 is potentially a record US rate for this contest.  I had an
opening hour of 135 on 40M which is actually better than last year as I
decided to devote totally to 40 for the first hour since virtually everything
I worked last year on the second radio I could work later when rates were
slower.  I think that strategy paid off.  I had 15 hours with rates over
120 an hour.

I will be on with a full effort in WPX SSB as a new callsign - AC1U.
Again not able to make the Russia DX contest as I travel for work often
and you have to draw the line somewhere in this game.  Thanks to my
wife, Christine, KB1PQN, who is always the most understang.

73

Ed  N1UR