[3830] ARRLDX SSB KU2M SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB KU2M SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 21:45:51 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KU2M
Operator(s): KU2M
Station: KU2M

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: Wayne, NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 28

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 1892   129
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1892   129  Total Score = 732,204

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Very good conditions the entire weekend, except for some very bad power line
noise that reared its ugly head and nearly wiped out everything save for louder
stations from the NW, and affecting anything from west through north. This made
working anything from an entire quarter of the radio compass irritating, and
made digging out weak callers from JA positively painful, if not impossible.
The radio's NB had no effect and I was gritting my teeth, listening in between
noise impulses for bits and pieces of letters and numbers. How painful? The
only thing more painful was when I had to have an impacted wisdom tooth removed
without anesthesia or Novocain. After this experience, I'm tempted to get my
chain saw and go looking for the guilty power poles, but I think I'll just have
to call the power company instead. Unfortunately, judging from the success some
of my other ham friends have had getting their respective power companies to
resolve their noise problems, the chain saw solution may be more viable. So it
goes.

Other than that, however, I can't complain. Even though we are now sliding down
the sunspot cycle, propagation was good, and activity was plentiful. A highlight
was being called by 4S7BBG on Saturday morning - I have never even heard a 4S7
in a contest before, and my thanks go to the Czech group that activated Sri
Lanka for the contest. Although the circuit to 4S7 was marginal, I was lucky
enough to be able to pull them out from among the many Europeans who called in,
and make the contact. It made my day, proving that even an old, jaded ham can
get goosebumps now and then when magic happens!