[3830] TBDC KV4FZ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC KV4FZ Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 00:27:14 +0000
Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Spring

Call: KV4FZ
Operator(s): KV4FZ
Station: KV4FZ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: U.S, Virgin islands
Operating Time (hrs): 7.5

Total:  QSOs = 182  Total Score = 2,368

Club:

Comments:

I had no intention of operating in the contest especially after working all day
on my Alpha 87A that has a strange Fault 37 problem only on 160 and 80 which I
was not able to fix. There was Swaziland on for the last night and hopefully I
could get some QRO on to try and work them.  But when the sun went down the
band became alive buzzing with activity unlike anything I have ever heard
before in the spring. Since this version of the Stew was not really well known,
the temptation for me to get on was nonetheless irresistible.  My first goal was
to get on for an hour and see if I could find Eric, NO3M, and his 11 watt MOPA
who promised to be on.  Then I started getting call after call and that was all
it took.

R9IR, KH6ZM and KH6AT were exciting additions to the log. I think a few QRP
stations are in the log as well but the local QRM and QRM was ferocious at
times. best RX antenna was a 600 foots Beverage that somehow was knocked down
before the contest by a deer and was laying on the ground without a
termination.  It was very quiet compared to the other Beverages and clicks from
a nearby station were reduced considerably.  I stayed on one frequency
throughout the contest and the nearby clicks machine prevented me from S&P.
 For those who called and got only a "agn" from me over and over, I
apologize. But others who just kept calling I was able to get them on a QSB
peak and when the clix stopped for a few seconds. I was a struggle for some to
keep calling but something I really thank them for.

Herb, KV4FZ