[3830] Commonwealth VK3MI Restricted-24 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth VK3MI Restricted-24 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 12:12:54 +0000
RSGB Commonwealth Contest

Call: VK3MI
Operator(s): VK3MI
Station: VK3MI

Class: Restricted-24 LP
QTH: Victoria
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
   80:   35
   40:  113
   20:   94
   15:   32
   10:    7
------------
Total:  283  Total Score = 4,430

Club: Eastern and Mountain District Radio Club

Comments:

I was pleased to be able to improve my 2015 score by around 20% �" mainly
due to more QSOs on 80M and 40M which can be largely attributed to the use of a
vertical antenna rather than an inverted L long wire that I had previously used
on these bands.

Conditions on the high bands were poor compared to recent years. It was hard
work putting QSOs in the log on 20M and 15M. The best DX on 10M was 9M6XRO and
9V1YC. The only G station logged on 15M was GB5CC. The normally reliable 20M
long path openings to UK and Canada were also marginal this year, with only a
few stations making it through.

As usual, the high level of man-made noise at my city QTH made it difficult or
impossible to copy weaker signals. I used a tuned receiving loop to help
improve the S/N ratio on 80M.

My Flex-3000 radio developed a fault in the PA stage so I had to resort to
using the old analogue FT1000MP radio! I missed the SDR spectral displays and
superior filtering but the FT1000MP still seemed to do a respectable job.

Thanks to everyone for the fun and QSOs, and I apologise to callers that I
could not pull out of the noise.

Equipment �" FT1000MP 100W
Antennas �" Elevated vertical for 80M/40M, rotating dipole (10m AGL) for
20M/15M/10M and a tuned loop for 80M RX