[3830] WPX SSB AC1U(N1UR) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB AC1U(N1UR) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 00:06:50 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: AC1U
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  247
   40:  933
   20: 1235
   15: 1272
   10:  105
------------

Club:

Comments:

That was great fun.

The first contest using AC1U.  I decided to drop NV1N
since its terrible on CW with so much confusion as
N41N or just ??.  So I switched the radio club call
to AC1U and was very happy on phone.  Hopefully the
CW contest will be the same.

I didn't expect 10M to open to EU and
it didn't.  Based on that, I was hoping to equal last
year's score of 11.7 Million.  That was the goal going in.
3 and 6 pointers being the focus.  Not being afraid to
fast S & P a few times for mults but otherwise running
and going to the 2nd radio when the rate slowed down.

Well I passed my last year score with 4.5 hours of
operating time left.  I decided to go for my goal of last
year which I missed - 14 Million.  I hit is with 5 mins
of time left.  What a great run that was.

I had more Qs, a higher average Q value, and more mults.
It adds up quick in this contest.

SFI was low so no 10M EU and no 15M JA.  Then the K started
to climb mid contest.  So I decided to go pretty much
non-stop for the first 24 hours.  The rate just kept
steady over 100 - 120 an hour.  Highest hour was 186
which was the opening hour on 40M.  Fantastic!
20 hours over 100 with 7 hours over 140.

Because of only having 90 mins off in the first half, I ended
3 hours before the end of the contest.  The rate was at
140 and the last contact was a long path VK (on 20M).  Very
cool stuff.

80M was in much better shape this year. Twice as many
Qs as last year.  Its a shame more Europeans don't use
80M for this contest  Its often easier than 40M for phone
contests to EU.

I didn't even check 160M.

The US participation is definately much lower in this contest
vs EU.  The mults are great. But its very apparent when
splitting beams to EU and US how many fewer calls there
are from the US.  65% of the Qs were EU and that was
with many hours splitting the beams to pick up US
mults.

I really like the strategy of this contest. Its a nice
compliment to the other DX contests.

See you in WPX CW.

73

Ed  N1UR/AC1U