[3830] WPX SSB OM7RU SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB OM7RU SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2016 21:03:36 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: OM7RU
Operator(s): OM7RU
Station: OM7RU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Dolna Micina
Operating Time (hrs): 36:00

------------
  160:  103
   80:  481
   40:  589
   20:  384
   15:  216
   10:    9
------------

Club: OM0M - Dozen Dashes Contest Club

Comments:

This contest shows picture of definitive "good bye" from Cycle 24.

I started on 40m, but deep night was time of closing of this band. I early QSY
to 80m, and this was good decision to hold quite high QSO number for 3 hours. I
was able to have good rates also on 40m on early morning. I wanted to stay on
40m as long as it was possible. Due to 2 points EU and due to expectation of
bad conditions on high bands. Moving to 20m and 15m was struggle for every QSO.
10m without any opening, 15m without longer pileup, so-so on 20m. Very early
closing of high bands. Saturday evening quite better rates on 40m. Night again
with miserable 40m, so I spent night on 80m and 160m.
Sunday break I started earlier just on morning, which was good idea. Sunday
afternoon was quite nice on both, 20m and 15m, much more better than day
before. With few pileups and few interesting west and east openings on 15m.
Band looked like just before closing but east gave few piles of valuable mults
from exact directions (YB, YC, 9M, BY...). At least one short 10m opening, but
with only little score addition. Fortunately, 15m and 20m closed much later,
than on Saturday.

Sometimes I have serious problems with bands covered by one splatter spectrum
beside other. No rare +/- 5 kHz... Especially on 20m after closing of 15m -
there wasn't problem to find frequency with no station, but reason was clear -
enormous splatter QRM. Some signals was similar to few kHz wide bulldozer... I
had to playing with filters, attenuator, preamplifier... Situation is getting
worse from year to year.

The main problem for years of Solar activity minimum is 20m and 15m antennas.
My 3 element tribander is just small water pistol toy. Looking to big guns
score shows, that 20m was their main band, not rare together with 15m. My
"home station" resources for building high bands arrays are limited,
so difficult years are comming, hi.

Thanks to all participants, for patience during QSBs.

Used equipments:
 Yaesu FT-1000MP MarkV Field
 ACOM 2000A (1,5 kW OUT)
 MicroHAM microKeyer, MicroHAM StationMaster
 WinTest
 UltraBeam UB ONE rotator

Antennas:
 160m: Vertical (35m tower + 2 elevated radials)
 80m:  OptiBeam OB1-80 rotary dipole @34m
 40m:  InvVee @21m
       RX loop (TX3A design)
 20, 15, 10m: Cushcraft A4S 3 el. tribander @31m