[3830] MiQP KT8K Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt8k@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] MiQP KT8K Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 21:31:22 +0000
Michigan QSO Party

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: EN82ch Washtenaw Cty
Operating Time (hrs): 11:21

   80:   69     22
   40:  119     92
   20:   16      2
   15:    0      0
   10:    1      0
--------------------
Total:  205    116  CW Mults = 74  Ph Mults = 57  Total Score = 68,906

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I wasn't sure how conditions would turn out, but they were not too bad.  I was
surprised how many stations could hear me (running 4 Watts to dipoles) that I
could barely hear at all.  I typically expect the "ESP QSO"
phenomenon to be happening to the stations I work, not to me, but there were a
lot of stations down in the noise who could apparently hear me a lot better
than I could hear them.  I wondered "are there really THIS many QRP
stations in the QSO party this year?", but I knew better.

I love this event because, being in-state, I get to run a lot more than on any
other contest, and I took that to heart this time.  187 of my 321 QSO's were
logged during 8 runs, and a third of those were logged on phone.  Longest run
was from 2230 to 2312z on 7194 kHz, at a rate of 65.9 per hour.  I am stoked!
Best hour was 55, and best 10 minute rate was 138/hr.

I got nice compliments from a number of ops on my youtube song "I Want a
Big Tower", which always increases my fun.  Overall this wasn't a personal
best, but my score is in the area of past scores that placed in the top 3 (or
won the QRP category), so I have hope of a "podium finish".

Best 73's to all and thanks to all who listened hard to pull me out of the
audio mess.
- Tim, KT8K

equipment:
- Tentec Orion set to 4 Watts (backed down 20% to "level the playing
field" (har har)
- MFJ Grandmaster keyer w Bencher BY-1 paddle
- WGA TR2000 headset with foot pedal
- ancient Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop (barely) running N1MM+

antennas:
- vertical triband 10/15/20 dipole at 60 feet (not good, a trap is probably
full of bugs)
- 20/40/80 3 wire dipole, feed point up 45 feet
- 500 foot horizontal zigzag loop fed w. TV twin lead and LDG Z-11 autotuner