[3830] NewEngQP N1DC Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1dc@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NewEngQP N1DC Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 15:30:01 +0000
New England QSO Party

Call: N1DC
Operator(s): N1DC
Station: N1DC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NOR MA (Braintree MA
Operating Time (hrs): 11

   80:     98        5
   40:    100        1
   20:    196        5
   15:      3
   10:
------------------------
Total:    397       11  Mults = 52  Total Score = 41,652

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to Tom and the entire NEQP organizing team for another great event. This
contest is always fun despite the conditions this year.

My goal was 600 QSO's and at least 80,000 points. I only has 240 QSO's in the
log Saturday night. I figured some nice runs on Sunday would get me to 600 Q's.
Boy was I wrong!!!

Sunday conditions were unbelievably bad. The worst I can remember since I
started contesting in 1968. WWV was barely readable at S0/S1 on 20MHz and there
was only QRN across all frequencies above 20MHz. A total blackout from that G3
disturbance.

I needed QSOs and multipliers and the only band with any propagation was 20M. I
tried at least 5 times to work EU with the beam pointed East. No luck.

I tried turning the antenna due south and heard a 4Z5 but could not work him.
Weird propagation to say the least. No SA or Caribbean stations were heard
either on Sunday. Amazing from here!

I moved the antenna West and kept it there for the bulk of Sunday afternoon.
Stations were very variable with a lot of QSB and heavy QRN. W6/W7 stations
were generally booming but others further east were often in the noise. I
worked Bert F6HKA (my only Sunday DX QSO) with the beam pointed West.

I tried SSB a few times in S&P mode.  Worked a few and got good signal
reports. Tried calling CQ a bunch of times but got only one QSO.  Back to CW.

This turned out to be a tough slog with rates way down compared to last year. I
usually average around 60/hour in the log. This year about 37/hour.

The big difference was multipliers. Only 3 DX QSO's (18 less than last year).
With the same operating time as 2015 I was down 33,000 points.

Time to change my strategy. New goals: 400 QSO's and 40,000 points. I didn't
realize how tough this would be.

Results:
45 states(missed ND,NE,AR,LA,WY), 4 provinces, 31 NE counties, 3 DX QSO's
Thanks to HK3Q, DL3DXX and F6HKA for hearing me and calling.

Worked several mobile op's outside NE. Special thanks to W9MSE/M who worked me
from IL, WI and IN!

Great to hear many familiar contest ops on the air. Thanks for the QSO's.

Station: TenTec Omni 7 @100W, WinKeyer USB, MFJ Diff.T tuner, Heil ProSet Plus
Antennas: 4 element yagi @30ft, 80/40 dipoles @35 ft
Computer: Windows 7 running N1MM

73,  Rick  N1DC