[3830] WPX CW K3WI(@WX3B) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW K3WI(@WX3B) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 13:29:40 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K3WI
Operator(s): K3WI WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Maryland
Operating Time (hrs): 13.25

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:   37
   20:  602
   15:  370
   10:   13
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I want to thank my good friend Bill K3WI for making the trek to WX3B, the truth
about this contest is that it was more of a single-op with K3WI operating and
WX3B making a few QSOs at opportune times, like grabbing that EU opening on 10m
for 15 minutes on Sunday, and having an hour of a rocking good time when 20 was
booming early Sunday afternoon.

Bill arrived both days long before I did and our event began Saturday morning
EARLY.  The first instant message I received was something like "I hear
nothing on 15 meters...." and that message repeated itself a few times
until the rather lack-luster opening Saturday to EU.  20 was productive,
perhaps more so, because it was the primary game in town.   JA and Asia were
watery, suffered from multi-path and generally were not too loud at WX3B
Saturday morning.

Our plan to operate a single day event quickly blossomed into both days when
our schedules were freed up (and who can quit when you KNOW propagation is
improving???)

Bill reported a wild and loud Asian opening along with the EUs on 20 meters
early Sunday morning.  This Asian opening continued, and Bill pointed the
single 20m antenna just east of north to try for a compromise to work Asia/EU
together.  I received a YouTube video of some JA calling CQ who was 20dB/9 so I
knew conditions were good on 20.

Of course 15 opened EARLY Sunday and became a very productive band.

At the end of our 13 hours, of which all but about 2 were Bill by himself, we
broke 1,000 QSOs and a good time was had by all.  More importantly, the 8 hours
of lawn cutting, weed trimming and driveway weed patrolling has finally been
completed at WX3B and my Taneytown contest house no longer looks like a
Foreclosure property.  As I was finished with the yardwork, it was PRIME TIME
on 20 meters at WX3B....and right at that moment I was invited to a Neighbor's
Memorial Day Weekend BBQ.  I opted for the BBQ, because I love children, and I
haven't seen these 3 kids in a long time.  You wouldn't believe what kids
remember.  Perhaps you would.  They remember EVERYTHING, including the
Amateur Radio Kids Day which they loved - at LEAST 8 years ago.  So...looks
like I still have some prospects next door for team WX3B....now ages 14 and
12....and their adorable 8 year old sister Lilly will always have a special
place in my heart.

How's for some non-contest fun during the contest?

73,

Jim   WX3B and Bill K3WI