[3830] ARRL June VHF K1WHS Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1whs@metrocast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K1WHS Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 02:19:46 +0000
ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: K1WHS
Operator(s): K1BX K0ZK AA1VL K1WHS
Station: K1WHS

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: FN43mj
Operating Time (hrs): 26

    6: 1268   231
    2:  223    39
  222:   14    10
  432:    4     4
  903:   10     7
  1.2:    7     5
  2.3:    7     5
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:    4     3
  24G:
-------------------
Total: 1622   304  Total Score = 493,088

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

I had not even hooked up the radio gear in my shack this Spring until this
contest weekend, so I was not surprised when many of the higher bands were dead
or very sick. The 222 yagi array had some yagis broken in half and hanging by a
thread. The 432 system was not hearing at all. 1296 had a RX & TX problem.
3.4 and 5.7 GHz were both totally broken. To make matters worse, the microwave
rotor was broken and was not indicating anywhere near the correct headings, so
I had no idea where I was pointing! The higher bands are in bad shape
All the more reason to concentrate on 50 MHz as the band was cooperating most
of the weekend. Art K1BX was the 50 MHz op and K1WHS was on 144. We were neck
and neck for a few hours, then the E skip started showing up, and Art left my
144 score in the dust. AA1VL showed up on Saturday evening in hopes of helping
me fix the 222 array, but high winds all weekend made any repairs impossible.
Chris, AA1VL did some 144 operating while I tried connecting up the higher
bands on Saturday night in hopes of making a few contacts. Well, we made a few
contacts, but our non networked computer has died after the contest, and I have
no way to get my high band scores retrieved. I have no idea how to submit my
score now, with missing contacts.  I just guessed at our totals on 222 and
higher.
    Six meter conditions were quite good most of the weekend. We were not very
serious with all the broken bands, but it was hard to pull the 6M switch late
at night and get some shut eye! We finally quit at about 0500UT and ran no MS
skeds as we normally do. We were back at it about 1100 UT on Sunday for more
DX. There was some European DX on Saturday, but conditions to the USA were
great at the same time, so we did not spend much time looking for DX in Europe.
We did nab EA8 and CU2 who were both loud for long periods of time. French,
German and Austrian stations were in  and out, but no contacts were made.
Around 2200 UT there was pretty intense Es to the NE and the VO1s and Nova
Scotia stations were loud. There was back scatter that also allowed good copy
on VE3s etc out to the west too. We even worked a station in Labrador, VO2AC.
By 0000UT some Caribbean DX was coming in. There was never really a dull moment
as the evening progressed. By 0130 we were at 90 grids on six. By  0230 the grid
total was 120 and climbing. When we quit at 0500 Art's grid total was 141. In
the morning we were adding grids at a steady rate. Stations in the SE were
worked along with some single hop midwest. Some multi hop appeared at 1400 in
the DM grids, W5s, 7s, and an XE or two. By 1600 UT the long haul DX was gone,
but single hop signals were still in. At 2130 EA6SX called us, followed by
three CT stations! That was a surprise. Double hop came back to the western
States and we finished the contest with a flurry of contacts, averaging about
65 per hour even though we had already worked over 1000 stations on six. We
ended up with 1268 contacts on 50 MHz. Now I am hoping that I can retrieve my
lost contacts on the higher bands so I can submit an accurate score!