[3830] IARU N9TF SOAB(A)Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9tf@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] IARU N9TF SOAB(A)Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 15:03:18 +0000
IARU HF World Championship

Call: N9TF
Operator(s): N9TF
Station: N9TF

Class: SOAB(A)Mixed LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 9

  160:           1              1
   80:   13      1      3       2
   40:   74     14     12      14
   20:  100     39     18      21
   15:   23             6       2
   10:
-------------------------------------
Total:  210     55     39      40  Total Score = 53,009

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Wasn't even planning to operate this contest! Seemed more like Field Day when I
first got on 20m around 1645UTC. I was actually just tuning and listening
around for about a half hour in the shack while I was writing some commands for
the K3S, still no intention of getting in! Well, saw some spots for some HQ
stations, and 9 hours later (off and on) I have a log to turn in!
20m was difficult early with low power and low antennas to be heard by DX
stations. Only a couple of the big EU stations responded to my call in the
early 20m session.
The evening session was more "DX" productive for my small station. 20
eventually opened up to the Pacific late, but no JA heard here. I think I saw
one or maybe two JA's spotted late on 20, but nothing heard in this RX. I did
manage to work 5W0COW and FW5JJ along with several KH6, and one VK. All KH6's
were just about equally strong on 40 as they were on 20, and I worked most of
them on 40 as well. I sure can see the results though of the reduced sunspot
activity. Guess it's time to get used to these slumping conditions.
Checked 10 occasionally, and never heard anything there made some contacts on
15, mostly stateside, some SA and Caribbean.
40m almost seemed a bit easier for me to work EU, with less repeats! Although,
my noise floor is about 20DB higher on 40 compared to 20, so there were
probably some stations I never even heard.
Great to be able to work W1AW/9 on 4 bands. Jerry, you're a machine!!! Heard
you guys on 15m back scatter, and tried a few times to get into your RX, but no
joy there. Big signal on 160 here considering my noise floor was a solid 10 over
S9. You guys were the only signal I heard on 160.

Now off to figure out how to keep RF noise on the AC lines from tripping the
Co2 detector on the second floor hallway outside our bedroom. I had a very
angry XYL burst burst into my shack at about 0610UTC this morning letting me
know, in a very "sleep deprived" forceful, unhappy demeanor, that I
had set off the detector for the second time, and this time it had awakened her
from a deep sleep. Well, even though I was hoping to hit 300 Q's before calling
it a contest, 265 Q's looked pretty good at that time, so I decided to call it
a contest :)

73 Gene, N9TF

K3S/P3 100 watts to 2 element triband @ 37' 80m OCF dipole at 35', 67'
shortened 160m half sloper @ 35'. N1MM+ logger.