[3830] IARU NE9U(@W0AIH) SOAB(A)Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ne9u@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU NE9U(@W0AIH) SOAB(A)Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 01:59:39 +0000
IARU HF World Championship

Call: NE9U
Operator(s): NE9U
Station: W0AIH

Class: SOAB(A)Mixed LP
QTH: wi
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:   48      1      5       3
   40:  325     59     23      20
   20:  378    107     27      33
   15:   83     14     14      10
   10:
-------------------------------------
Total:  834    181     69      66  Total Score = 394,335

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

Last year was the first time I had played in this contest as a single op and
wanted to try it again this year...Then we got invited to a wedding this
weekend...ughh...
Good news was it was in Eau Claire!

So my choices were:

1.  Bag the contest and sleep over in Eau Claire with the XYL.
2.  Drive home after the wedding dance and get about 3 hours sleep before
contest kick-off.
3.  Sleep over at W0AIH and get a good night sleep and play with the Rhombics!

#3 won out.

There are pluses and minuses to the Rhombics....i know they are great low angle
DX antennas.  And with crummy conditions this year, I know they gave me a lot of
DX i wouldn't have heard with my home qth A4 at 56 feet!
The negative is they are great low angle Dx antennas.  :-)
 I'm guessing they hurt me with the domestic stuff...but who knows....

Comparing 2015 to 2016, my DX qso's actually dropped from 35% to 23%.  But that
had to be primarily due to conditions.  Curious how other's in the Black Hole of
Wisconsin and Minnesota year-to-year comparisons were?  I suspect even worse?

Anyway, fun time from The Farm.  Good seeing Paul and seeing the progress on
the 80 meter Yagi and all the other things going on.

73

Scott  NE9U

Equipment:

K3
FT1000D
Europe Rhombic
Africa Rhombic
Carribean Rhombic
JA Rhombic

(all reversible, so 8 possible directions at the flip of a switch!)