[3830] DL-DX RTTY AB1J SOAB-6-Dipole LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] DL-DX RTTY AB1J SOAB-6-Dipole LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 20:55:52 +0000
DL-DX RTTY Contest

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOAB-6-Dipole LP
QTH: Waltham, MA
Operating Time (hrs): 6

   80:    9    50     8
   40:   59   475    25
   20:   87   760    34
   15:
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  155  1285    67  Total Score = 86,095

Club:

Comments:

This contest's dipole category is designed for me even though I'm lumped in with
HP guys.  Can't have everything.

I decided to try the 6 hour category even though strategizing like this drives
me nuts.  I always think I'm making the wrong choices.  During the preceding
week I ran ViewProp (should be called ViewSpots) to scope out the bands.  15m
was clearly a goner, even though it was my money band last year.  20m and 40m
would have to make up for it, plus I have limited 80m capabilities now.
Basically I looked at 2015's data and threw out 15m and operated in the best of
the remaining time, keeping within the 6 hour limit.  What was left was all
afternoon and evening local time, but I missed some good morning hours so if I
try this again I need to pay more attention.  I started my first stint in
mid-afternoon, too early, so I could have done some time in the morning
instead.

I compared my results with a friend in the 24 hour category who had a few more
QSOs but a lot more mults.  I think that's because he operated in a wider
variety of propagation situations.  Again, I can see I should have spread out
my operation more, but I am happy with my results, so all's well that ends
well.

73,
Ken, AB1J

FT-2000  N1MM+   MMVARI-MMTTY-2Tone-GRITTY
TS940S   RCKskimmer v1.6 and v3.2
Invisible and inconspicuous dipoles.