[3830] CQWW VHF K3CCR(N3UM) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, benn3um@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K3CCR(N3UM) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 20:30:54 +0000
CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K3CCR
Operator(s): N3UM
Station: K3CCR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 5

    6:  53     22
    2:  20     10
-------------------
Total:  73     32  Total Score = 2,976

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington continuing-care
retirement community at FM 18OW in MD, just east of DC. For
CQ VHF only N3UM was available to operate.

Slow at start: 19 QSOs in 1.7 hr. BIC, 16 of them in FM18 or
FM19! The other 3 Qs: EM10 on 6 m. skip and 2 LOS grids on 2 m.
VHF rate then went from Slow to Stop, so I did NAQP RTTY on
20 m. for an hour. I had planned a "quick" supper break, but
severe thunderstorms extended that to 3.3 hrs.

Back on VHF at 0Z, SOME action at last on 6: 17 Qs in 40 min,
7 on E skip in 5 EN grids.  Rate then died again, so I did 1.5
hr. on 40 and 80 m. RTTY.

Sun. morning in 1 hr. starting 1413 Z I made 12 Qs, 4 in new
Es grids.  Only 3 local Qs after a long brunch break: nap time!
Action again in the last 2 hrs: 19 Qs, 5 new skip grids plus
3 new LOS/tropo grids on 2 m.  Only 5 hr. total BIC on VHF.

I was pleased to work 15 Es grids and 7 LOS grids on 6 with the
40 m. Inv V on 7th harmonic, many on CW. When no skip, 6 and 2
mostly local: 43 of 73 total Qs in FM18 or FM19! Many of the
usual VHF stalwarts within LOS/tropo range were never heard.