[3830] IOTA EI2KM M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, turnbull@net1.ie
Subject: [3830] IOTA EI2KM M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 16:16:47 +0000
IOTA Contest

Call: EI2KM
Operator(s): EI2KM EI2KC EI2CN EI7HCB
Station: EI2KM

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Ireland
Operating Time (hrs): 24

   80:   11        3       8       5
   40:   98       35      63      22
   20:  313       63     322      43
   15:  109       21      79      18
   10:    8        8     156       7
Total:  539      130     728      95  Total Score = 2,099,250

Club: Grande County Louth DX Alliance

Comments:

Friends,
      This contest was entered using Alain's call licensed at this QTH.   This
is a first IOTA for any in our group.    A most agreeable surprise was to find
that ten meters was open in Europe for Saturday afternoon.    From there we
migrated to 15M and finally to 20m.   Twenty stayed with us till around 12:00
UTC or 1AM when the switch to 40M was made.   The band was still alive but it
seemed a good thing to do.

        There is a choice in this contest to run which we did quite
successfully but there is a cost to working non-island stations.   Each new
island on any mode or band being worth a multiplier plus three world QSOs.   So
working the IOTA is a bit like entering the REF contest from Ireland - the
contest is not made for you if you are on the main land.

         On Sunday morning we switched exclusively to Search and Pounce thus
seeing the score start to climb.  While working non-island stations it just
stayed put.   We made an error in not doing more on the low bands but then we
are all novices to this contest.   Before starting it was agreed that this was
to be a fun event without any drill sergeant issuing commands.    Beer and wine
were consumed in moderation.   For one of our operators Jarek, it was his first
contest since VHF field day which produced 50 QSOs - wow.   At least none of us
were watching paint dry.   Never did the activity let up and our modest score is
accepted with pride.   Life is good and we are a band of brothers.

         Our secret ingredient is Zywiec Polish beer supplied by newly licensed
Jarek, EI7HCB.

                     73 Alain Ei2KM (F8FUA) and Doug EI2CN