[3830] IOTA K4C M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA K4C M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2016 14:52:00 +0000
IOTA Contest

Call: K4C
Operator(s): N4YDU W4KAZ
Station: K4C

Class: M/S LP
QTH: NA067
Operating Time (hrs): 18

   80:   32       8        1       1
   40:  169      32      121      17
   20:  130      22      227      20
   15:   38      15       26       5
   10:
Total:  369      77      375      43  Total Score = 642,000

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Soapbox de W4KAZ:
Operating from Cape Lookout is always fun, this year with N4YDU as K4C. N4YDU
again racked up most of the QSOs while I rode shotgun with crude jokes and
irrelevant commentary.  We operated the single station using only vertical
antennas this year, with aluminum tube and wire hybrid/mishmash vertical
antennas built by N4YDU.

The 40m/20m/15m vertical went up first - it was our main antenna.  The second
antenna was subject to a bit of guessing, as we had a couple of options
available but limited space.

After some discussion, we both decided we wanted to see how a vertical might
play on 80m at the island.  N4YDU had constructed a 26 foot aluminum vertical
loaded on 80m with a coil, which we set up with two simple radials laid on the
sand.

Cape Lookout also qualified as SS05 for the ARRL national parks event, so
Friday afternoon/evening was a good test for the antennas.  The 80m vertical
seemed to produce better results than any of our previous 80m antennas used at
that location in years past.

IOTA contest conditions were poor, with 20m open to Europe for only a short
time.  We did have more luck with 15m than in years past, but years past have
been VERY poor on 15m.

As always the IOTA Experiment Lab with N4YDU was a lot of fun, even with poor
summertime RF conditions.

N4YDU Comments:

Another  awesome time with W4KAZ. As always, Keith's logistics expertise came
in very handy. While conditions werent the greatest, there were several
interesting moments on the air. The vertical antenna experiment seemed to be a
winner. Great Island Camp, part of the NPS Cape Lookout National Seashore, is a
fantastic radio location.

73,

Nate/N4YDU

K4C