[3830] NAQP CW K9GY Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9gy@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K9GY Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2016 02:06:31 +0000
North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: K9GY
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: K9GY

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: FM17qd
Operating Time (hrs): 3

  160:
   80:
   40:   4      3
   20:  45     23
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  49     26  Total Score = 1,274

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: Star Trek: Generations

Comments:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enola_Gay

August 6th, 1945 "Enola Gay"... the first aircraft to drop an atomic
bomb. COL Tibbets (the pilot) mother's name was Enola Gay. Today was the 71st
anniversary so decided to use "ENOLA"

Operated from Omaha Beach picnic area on Ft Eustis, VA looking out at the James
River where the James River "Ghost Fleet" is anchored. Also some
colonial history happened in this area of the James River just off Mulberry
Island.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Eustis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_fleet

I was sweating like crazy out there!
Heat index at 20z was 107 F!
Then at 22z it "cooled" off to heat index of 103 F!

This was a test setup for NPOTA activities. Three NP sites are within a short
drive from here. Setup seems do-able.... worked OM5XX ....and probably worked
half the US states.

Made the mistake of thinking the LDG Z-817 tuner received its power from the
FT-817...oops! It needs four AA batteries which I didn't have (or a Phillips
head screwdriver to install the batteries)! A slightly higher SWR on 40m and no
tuner limited my effectiveness on 40m.

Tested out (purchased at Dayton) Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries (from Bioenno
Power)....seemed good. Much lighter than previous batteries (esp marine
batteries).

The mosquitoes started getting aggressive even with deep woods off on me so
tore down around dinner time. Weather forecast called for rain in a few hours
so didn't want equipment (or me!) to get caught in that. Thought I hit the 50
QSO mark but after entering the paper log only 49....argh!

Yaesu FT-817
LNR Precision EF-10/20/40 MKII (end fed antenna) up about 20'
LDG Z-817 tuner
XT-4 keyer

CQ CONTEST!
"Enola"