[3830] NAQP CW VE7FO M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW VE7FO M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2016 07:48:35 +0000
North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: VE7FO
Operator(s): VE7FO
Station: VE7FO

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: Vancouver
Operating Time (hrs): 10:38

  160:
   80:   32    15
   40:   91    37
   20:  225    49
   15:    3     2
   10:
-------------------
Total:  351   103  Total Score = 36,153

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

>From here 10 and 15 both did an admirable job of performing their dummy load
function.  Made a very few Qs on 15 and none on 10.  Thought 15 might at least
give me some mults but no such luck.

So started on 20.  I always live in dread of some fellow club member saying,
"Hey, did you catch that huge opening on 15 late in the afternoon?",
so gotta figure out a quick way of monitoring the bands not in use.  Turned out
to be very easy.  Set the span on the K3 panadaptor to 50 kHz.  Switch RX to
band to be monitored, switch antenna to R5 vertical and use N1MM to put the
radio 25 kHz above the lower band edge.  Bingo, a beautiful view of 50 kHz with
no signals.  This was quick and easy enough that I checked several times each
hour.  I did occasionally see some sigs on 15 but not enough to make me want to
sit there waiting for the 10 minute band change timer to run out.

20 was pretty good.  Lots of sigs but never a problem finding a place to run.
Did a lot of hoovering up mults at the start and then alternated running nd
S&P.

40 wasn't too bad except for the long and deep QSB which made getting fills
rather tiresome.  Lots of reasonably strong sigs I couldn't work for some
reason.

When I first went to 80 it was horrible - panadaptor showed noise baseline
jumping up and down 20 dB.  Couldn't work much so back to 40.  80 improved
later on so managed to pick up some Qs and mults.

Thanks for you patience everybody.

73, Jim  VE7FO