[3830] WAE CW VE9AA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WAE CW VE9AA Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 15:43:05 +0000
WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: nb
Operating Time (hrs): 33:37
Radios: SO2R

   80:  130    42   140
   40:  392   341   141
   20:  419   502   100
   15:  222   284    82
   10:   12     0    18
-------------------------
Total: 1175  1167   481  Total Score = 1,127,464

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

(in my best Austin Powers voice)...'QTC's baby, yeah !!!''

Unfortunately, this 10m Sunday morning Es opening that y'all are talking about
was not experienced here.  I bet I lost 60-70 Q's and 25mults....ARGH.

I got 10minutes into it and the freakin' power went out.  Thanks NB power !!!
:-(  A bad rain storm moved through like there was no tomorrow (no T&L tho)
and the rain-static QRN was fierce, but on 10m not too bad, and then the lights
went out.  I thought about digging out the generator and running some extension
cords, but it was raining so bloody hard that I didn't know if I wanted to
really expose the small Honda (or myself, being made of sugar and all) to that
or not.  I even contemplated going out to the MINI and operating from the
mobile like I do in the CWT's but wasn't sure what to do about serial #'s when
I got back on the air.  I knew roughly what # I was at, but matching it up
later would've been a gong show.

My smart phone told me from the NB Power website that the outage was expected
to last an hour and it was only a little more. When the power came back, 10m
was dead.

I also lost an hour due to what I think was food poisoning or something
disagreeable.  We had chicken samosas for a late supper and a 50m dash to the
WC was needed a few hours later. I was no Usain Bolt, but I sure wasn't far
behind. Did you see Andre'De Grasse run against Bolt. That was QRP vs. QRO and
he was awesome!  I won't go into details of my own race down the hall here
other to say that it was a surprise and sudden, hi !

I would also be in favor of a 24 hour format starting Saturday, not Friday
night after I was working all day, as I had some hours in the single digits and
it was a real slog in the middle of the night and the middle of the day.

20m seems to be a bad band for me to EU midday, no doubt due to absorption.
 I think I need stacks like VY2TT(KL7SB/VY2) or VY2ZM piloted (I think) by N6GQ
this time???

All in all , a fun 'test and once again I am amazed at the EU's who can copy
QTC's with very few fills.  A couple even asked QRQ, which was uber cool.

One minor gripe (only one, Mike?)  Yup, only one.  With all the summer QRN,
often I would lose a single digit of the serial number, so I would often go
back with something like '123'? (let's say it was correct....)....the EU'n
would often proceed to send the whole 5NN 123 5NN 123 all over again, where all
I was asking for what a confirmation or a correction.  It would be so easy to
just send RRRRR, QSL QSL, CFM, TU, or something to let me know I had it wrong.

(I certainly don't need your call or the 5NN part for a second or third time)

I would estimate 75% of the time, I had the number right anyways, but being a
stickler for wanting to get it right I like to be 100% SURE.  Please guys, if
you are hearing each other fine, a simple confirmation is all that's needed or
we think we have it wrong and must toss it all out and start fresh.

My apologies to 9A5Y who came back many times looking for QTC's but my logs
shows I sent you 10 early on. Sorry !

SP4Z had the loudest 40m signal on Sunday when we still very much in daylight
here.

DL5AXX was Mr. QRQ  QTC's. FB Ulf.

One EU, who's call I forget, a UK fella I think, kept sending me IO65 or
something, and no matter what I could not coax a QSO # from him. (in retrospect
I probably could've logged him as 000, but he was sending me a #, but just not
the right one.)  Try me on 6m for a Maidenhead grid square next time my good
man.

Other than that one minor gripe, it was a normal contest with the big guns
opening up 50Hz from me,lots of summer QRN, midday doldrums etc but that's
life.

73 from the Ridge,
Mike VE9AA
2 x IC7410's, YCCC SO2R+ box, N3ZN paddles, N1MM+ <<QTC's FB with this
one