[3830] WAE CW NA8V Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hgchapoton@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WAE CW NA8V Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 19:08:28 +0000
WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: NA8V
Operator(s): NA8V
Station: NA8V

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: mi
Operating Time (hrs): 35:45
Radios: SO2R

   80:   47          23
   40:  229          41
   20:  459          46
   15:   93          34
   10:   20          13
-------------------------
Total:  848   847   401  Total Score = 684,106

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Another fun WAE.  It was certainly great to have condx perk up for a contest
weekend.

Lots of QRN here, especially the first night on the low bands from nearby
storms.  Never could get going on 80, had trouble hearing and it seemed I
wasn't being heard well either.  Our T-storm finally cruised thru about 4am
while I was off.  the 2nd night was noisy early but it tapered off later in the
opening, along with the rate.

My strategy was to take 2 offtimes for sleep.  That seemed to fit with condx
the first day, but when i got up and got on the air Sunday morning I was
shocked to find 15 wide open and also loud signals on 10.  I may have got to
the party a few minutes late, but not too much.  After my adrenalin slowed
down, I realized I was working pretty much just the big stations.  the opening
didn't last long, wasn't really runnable and wasn't "deep" - but it
did provide some hope that the high bands might blow open again at any moment.
If I had gotten on an hour earlier and taken an hour off midday, might have done
a *little* better.  20/20 hindsight.

Probably the best use of the rbn that I've done.  Of course, it was frustrating
- half the spots I couldn't hear and most of the ones I could were sending QTC.
Of course, if I had immediately worked those stations it would have gotten that
much slower that much more quickly.  Always a tradeoff.

Hats off to the EU ops for gobbling up the QTCs and to the DARC for a nice
party.

greg/na8v