[3830] SARTG SV5DKL SOSB/40 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SARTG SV5DKL SOSB/40 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 07:30:08 +0000
SARTG WW RTTY Contest

Call: SV5DKL
Operator(s): SV5DKL
Station: SV5DKL

Class: SOSB/40 LP
QTH: Rhodes Isl. - EU001
Operating Time (hrs): 04:12

   80:   0     0     0
   40:  79   820    28
   20:   0     0     0
   15:   0     0     0
   10:   0     0     0
------------------------
Total:  79   820    28  Total Score = 22,960

Club: Greek Telegraphy Club

Comments:

That was the first time I operated with 2Tone decoder engine, in parallel to
N1MM+'s MMTTY DI. Setup was very easy, integration was quite simple and the
result made me really happy.

Main reason for participating was to test RTTY decoding of: 1) Sound card
(MMTTY), 2) AEA PK-232MBX TNC and 3) 2Tone software decoder engine , under the
noisy and low signal conditions of 40m band.

Results:

Sound card with MMTTY still is working well, decodes fewer "garbage"
than the other 2 and makes you feel more confident on what you see on the
decoding monitor.
Pk-232MBX has a very strict and narrow filter dedicated to RTTY. Whenever it
"locks" right on a RTTY signal, there's no way it will decode
something wrong, no matter the QRM and the splatters.
2Tone is REALLY NARROW. It can decode signals where no signal is believed to
exist. Sometimes, depending on the kind of QRM/splatters, MMTTY decoded better
than 2Tone, but in the majority of cases, 2Tone makes an excellent decoder,
especially on low signals. What I found uncomfortable was that at some cases,
while I could see MMTTY and PK-232MBX decoding almost in real-time, among QRM,
2Tone was like idle, no decoding no nothing. Only after the transmission
reached the end, it started decoding characters (part of the transmission, not
all). If you know how to overcome this, please drop me a line at:
sv5dkl@rho.forthnet.gr
In general, MMTTY and PK are fast and right-on decoders for the majority of
signals, with MMTTY winning a few feet due to better low signal decoding. 2Tone
is a bit laggy, but when it decodes, it does so accurately and in a most
convenient way. Its really narrow filtering works extremely well under noisy
and low signal environment.

Rig used was FT-2K. After some initial attempts, I've found out that for low
signals with presence of QRM, the best receiver settings for best 2Tone
decoding were: Roofing @ 3Khz, Shift @ +1000hz, Width @ 850Hz and Notch @
1010Hz.
If you try these, or if you come up with any better, please let me know.

73
Stathis, SV5DKL