[3830] NAQP SSB N9NB Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tsrwvcomm@aol.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB N9NB Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 13:34:49 +0000
North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: N9NB
Operator(s): N9NB
Station: N9NB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:   13    10
   80:   82    24
   40:  483    52
   20:  314    42
   15:   84    18
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  977   147  Total Score = 143,619

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

I rarely operate ssb contests, but something happened in this one that may
change that -- this is the first time I ever used a voice memory keyer, and WOW
does that help! About 2 hours in, I realized my voice would fade out very fast,
as the rates were better than usual, so I unwrapped my never-used remote
controller and read the manual for how to use it with the FTDX5000 while
running Qs, and WOW, was that cool. I also, for the first time, just called CQ
the entire contest (except for the last hour), just to see how that would do,
and it worked pretty well. Unfortunately, I messed up a planned break at 10pm
and took only 21 minutes off, instead of 31 minutes, so I gave up 21 minutes of
operating while 40m was hopping to the west coast - Next time I will set an
alarm! The rates were still good when I took the break, so I gave up the chance
to reach 1000 Qs with this error. Drat. I still have so much to learn, and
operated without a log check call list -- so nothing would pop up in the logger
for this contest, which meant I could not be lazy on any Q. Was a good contest
for me, I felt competitive most of the way, and believe with more practice, and
learning more about the logging program, I could become competitive in SSB.
Thanks to everyone for the QSOs! And please write in to the FCC and your ARRL
leaders to ask that they institute narrowband protections in the lowest 100 khZ
of all HF/MF bands to ensure we get to enjoy CW and RTTY in the coming data era
in ham radio ala NPRM 11708. 73 ted n9nb