[3830] OhQP N2CU Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] OhQP N2CU Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 23:36:50 +0000
Ohio QSO Party

Call: N2CU
Operator(s): N2CU
Station: N2CU

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: 8 ctys
Operating Time (hrs): 7

   80:  133      3
   40:   96     39
   20:   50      7
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  279     49  CW Mults = 62  Ph Mults = 26  Total Score = 53,416

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

My first real attempt at operating mobile in this contest... and probably my
last. I drove 580 miles, activated 8 counties, operated only 7 hours due to 5
hours driving time between counties, for an average of 0.56 QSOs per mile.

I decided to drive further than originally planned to activate two counties
that were not spoken for (hey, I wanted to give guys a chance of a sweep). So I
drove several hundred miles before the start so I could back track and end up
closer to home rather than having to drive 4+ hours after the contest end.
Well, after 3 counties, I only had 100 QSOs in the log. Not good. I almost
threw in the towel but since I was hundreds of miles from home I might as well
soldier on. Things did improve in the evening when 80m perked up.

A big thank you to several stations who "get it" and followed my
mobile from county to county; K9OM 14, NF8O 9, K0RI and WN4AFP 7, KE8M 6, K3TW,
K4MM, KN4Y, WA3HAE and WE5EE 5, and a number of others with multiple QSOs. That
includes DK2OY with 3 QSOs.

Mobiles should have separate categories for single- and multi-op. A single-op
loses way too much operating time because he must shut down to drive from
county to county. I lost 41% of the available time by driving. What incentive
is there to want to do this again if there is such a big handicap? Maybe that's
the reason for low mobile turnout in this contest. There are categories for QRP,
LOW and HIGH power; why not make it fair for mobiles, which everyone says are
the heart of any QSO party? That's my $0.02 and I'm out.

73,
Tom N2CU