[3830] KsQP N8II Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] KsQP N8II Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 20:45:06 +0000
Kansas QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 15

   80:    1      0
   40:   71     13
   20:  243    147
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
    6:
----------------------------
Total:  315    160      0  Mults = 104  Total Score = 133,125

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I have to say without a doubt that the KS guys with some out of state help
mobilize more operators to take part in their QSO party for longer periods than
any other state per capita by at least a factor of 2 times! In only VA (not from
here!), FL, PA, TX, or CA QP's is it possible to work more Q's. I am not sure,
but would guess that I may have broken the out of state record even with no
activity and very little prop if any on 15M (the band may have opened around
24Z on Es). This was aided by a certain mobile who passed out multiple calls,
K0A (W0BH) and company. There were so many mobiles who operated nearly the
entire party and it was a wonder two didn't collide somewhere in eastern KS
where several times mobiles in the same county were worked within a few
minutes. Eastern KS was very well covered and all counties were active. I am
sort of getting used to the 40+ 1X1 calls active; It is getting a bit easier to
wrap my brain around logging them. But I may have missed a dit on 1 or 2 weak
ones on 40 and logged a busted call. I did not chase spots endlessly; spotters
seemed to be pretty sparse.

The first 2 hours or so has down right hectic with many fixed 1X1 calls on 20
along with the mobiles along with a few 40M Q's. During the middle of the day,
40 was nearly a lost cause especially on Sunday from here; many guys spotted
were in the noise with N0R/M having by far the best mobile signal and he was
quite loud on 20 was well. It is about 1000 miles to the east border of KS from
here. That was about the ideal distance to KS on 20 meters with the lower solar
flux; even the weaker guys never really disappeared into the noise and some
mobiles were over S9 along with fixed stations using wires. Things did weaken
up slightly mid day and around 23Z Jerry W0L/M with his KW was barely readable,
but I guess some Es started by 24Z and OH stations which had been fairly weak or
mostly skipping over me on 40 became quite loud which kept 20 open until the end
of Saturday at 02Z. Luckily there was only backscatter to OH on 20 which helped
my ability to S&P without exhaustion, but 40 and 80 were a different story
and activity on 40 from KS never seemed to take off during the evening. By far
the biggest strain and slowest QSO rate period was the last 2 hours Saturday
with low activity on 20 and almost nothing on 80. Some mobiles finished their
routes early as well. Sunday was not too bad with seldom over 5 minutes between
Q's and no OH competition on phone, but few new fixed stations were worked on
phone. The OH QRM at 16Z Saturday probably cut the KS 20M phone activity by
50%, but it was largely gone by 20-21Z. On Sunday I had some strange
interruptions of short length, investigated data use on our family phones which
had gone wild = 26 y/o daughter streaming music!, neighbor came over to
report/warn of more break-ins in area, and Windows just had to update even
though I swear I did not give permission = 12-13 minutes without computer. Both
days it took 30 or more minutes to walk the dog.

Many thanks to all of the mobiles who put in many hours crisscrossing the state
and giving out the rare counties where few if any hams are HF active. Many of
them knew me by name, but I did not plan in advance to operate, so did not know
who was who in most cases. Some of the mobile CW guys could try phone when
things get slow as there was plenty of space on 20 phone on Sunday. Congrats to
N6MU for his annual sweep and making essentially the same score. Dedicated great
op with few breaks equals out better signal with less dedication. I was a bit
surprised John equaled my 20 M phone total as I was able to run a few KS
stations. Around 2030Z I ran at least 5 quick KS phone contacts along with a
couple of HI stations working their QP and quite a few zero pointers from other
areas in NA (over 20 total). It was not so fun switching between 3 logs. Kudos
to W0BH and helpers for logging us in 3-4 logs! Thanks to everyone in KS for
making the weekend lively and I wish you continued success.

73, Jeff