[3830] WAE SSB K3ZJ/8 Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K3ZJ@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WAE SSB K3ZJ/8 Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 03:33:02 +0000
WAE DX Contest, SSB

Call: K3ZJ/8
Operator(s): K3ZJ
Station: K3ZJ/8

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   80:
   40:   39    60    57
   20:  581   548    94
   15:   98   110    66
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  718   718   217  Total Score = 311,612

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I was introduced to WAEDC Phone in 1974 as VU2ABC, and entered again in 1979
from K3ZJ. This will be my third entry.  It doesn't seem like 36 years have
passed, but
a lot has changed with equipment, logging and QSLing since my last entry in
1979.

Drinking while contesting seemed to be a theme this year. I'm still wondering
about the LZ2 who confided that he was enjoying his vodka while listening to
me, then asked whether I was Russian. Maybe it had something to do with the
vodka.  Or maybe I need a new microphone.  Later, a DJ5 said that was glad to
see me again, that he had given up but then had a couple of beers and decided
to come back on.  Guys, if you think conditions were really bad, wait for the
even lower sunspot years that are coming!  Or maybe drinking and contesting is
becoming a fad?

WAEDC recognizes as "heroes" those who activate a country from which
no log has been received for the past three years.  I was happy to work the
following new  WAEDC heroes (assuming that they submit logs): ZB2TT; and ZA5G,
ZA/ZA1P, DL2JRM/ZA, and ZA/OH2BH.  Martti has stirred something up in Albania,
and I look forward to working these guys in CQWW and future contests.

Finally, I was pleasantly surprised to see that 116 QSLs had arrived via eQSL
for my 718 QSOs -- over 15 percent of my QSOs had QSLed within 24 hours of
contest end.  There were two more from SWLs, one of whom reported from Brazil
that he was using a Dutch remote SDR station for listening.  WAEDC has an SWL
entry category, and I was an SWL before getting my ticket, so I can identify
with that!

It was great to exchange comments with so many friends, and I hope to see you
again next year.  Thanks for the Q's.

73, Dave K3ZJ/8