[3830] ARRL Sep VHF VE3CRU/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3cru@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF VE3CRU/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 15:06:08 +0000

  3.4:   0      0
  5.7:   0      0
  10G:   0      0
  24G:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  86     68  Total Score = 9,928

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

This contest had both challenges and interesting moments.  Saturday saw two rows
of black storm clouds running east to west as far as can be seen 25 miles apart?
with heavy rain falling, just south of me in EN93 and EN94 that affected those
in the areas, and heavy winds.  The qso rate was good in EN93wv with dx to FN32
but slow in EN94wb so headed east to FN04 to pick up 4 qso's, then south to FN03
for a lucky 13 qso's.

I had pulled into the paved driveway of a tall communications tower at FN03,
and was standing outside the Rovermobile and leaning inward with headphones on,
when
I saw something moving close behind me with large letters POL in view.  An
officer from York Regional Police spotted me and, out of curiosity came to find
out what all the antennas were for.  A 45 minute chat ensued ending in a
handshake and exchange of qsl cards and his business card.  I packed up and
headed home.   My best odx there was with W3SO in FN00.

Sunday morning, went to a new site at FN03sv which saw 6 qso's, best odx was
W2SZ in FN32 on 144 only.   Moved to popular site FN04xa with a great horizon
to gain best odx east with W2SZ FN32 for 3 qso's and 2 qso's with W3SO FN00
plus W3IP in FM19, only FM grid in the log.   On to FN14ba, a good site and
worked 4 qso's with W2SZ and 2 with W3SO plus many others.  Then on to the last
stop at FN13bx at water's edge of Lake Ontario which is not good to the west.
For odx, got 2 qso's with W3SO and 3 with W2SZ.

Technical stuff.  I had 2304 and 3456 but had no qso's on either band this
time.  I did not have 6M, no room in replacement Rovermobile for the 756 ProII
nor on the roof for an antenna.  Need carpentry work to accommodate more gear.
The 222 ssb and 902 ssb gear was left on the bench, undergoing changes, as no
room for it either presently.  I did run 223.5 at 70W FM with 6 elmts
off-vehicle on a light stand and 902.1 FM at 20W to a 33 looper, which accounts
for an anticipated lower score.

I ran as an Independent Rover, no assistance from use of cell phone, Internet
chat on ON4KST and no involvement with other rovers in Ontario.  Only rover in
the log is K2TER/R and did hear NF2MR/R once when packing up, but he was gone
before I could call to him.   I am happy with my score.

Thanks to the ARRL for sponsoring the contest, and to all who participated as
well as all I had qso's with, much appreciated.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R