[3830] CQ WW RTTY K2PO M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bill@conwellpdx.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY K2PO M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 03:25:12 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: K2PO
Operator(s): K2PO KF7FME
Station: K2PO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 40
Radios: SO2R

   80:   94       36       7     8
   40:  499       47      67    27
   20:  780       54      90    29
   15:  300       27      55    25
   10:    3        2       1     1
------------------------------------
Total: 1676      166     220    90  Total Score = 1,733,116

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

The weekend was originally to have been a multi-single.  But one op had a last
minute business trip, another had a family event, and life otherwise intervened
with others.  So I started-off as single op.  WQ3I dropped by for a station
visit with his 5 year old son, but didn't operate.  But then KF7FME was able to
join me for 80 minutes on Saturday evening.

By then I'd made multiple band changes without regard to the band-change
limitations.  So I'll submit this log as a multi-unlimited, although there were
never two signals on their air, nor more than one op active at a time.

No matter - 'just out for a fun weekend.  And to double the pleasure, I doubled
(or more accurately, quintupled) the power - running the KPA-500 amplifier for
the first time in a contest.

Conditions were fine to start - given the low expectations that come with this
part of the solar cycle.  But then the K-index spiked twice to 5.

The first spike seemed to ruin our chance to work 40m Europeans on the 2d
night.  (The log has 7 EUs on 40m the second night, as compared with 59 the
first night.)

The second spike in the k-index seemed to torpedo 15m on Sunday.  The band
didn't open until after 3:00 in the local afternoon, and then just weakly -
with no stateside stations, and only the big-gun DX stations that were already
in the log.

Three 10m QSOs were logged - two with local club members, and a third
"ESP" QSO (I think) with N6SS in Arizona.  Nothing else was heard.

28% of my contacts were S&P. 420 of my 1676 raw QSOs (25%) were Japanese
stations.  351 were Europeans (21%).  And 644 were US stations (38%).

Last year, my best band was 15m - by a wide margin.  This year 15m was a
distant #3.

Tnx to the RTTY fraternity for turning out this weekend, and to the volunteer
log processing staff for the work that's about to begin.

73,

/Bill, K2PO