[3830] TxQP W5CT Multi-Op Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, robert.k5pi@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] TxQP W5CT Multi-Op Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2016 02:40:20 +0000
Texas QSO Party

Call: W5CT
Operator(s): W5MJ K5PI W9MC W5UP
Station: W5CT

Class: Multi-Op Mobile LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:
   80:
   40:   335    50
   20:   948   256
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  1283   306      0  Mults = 109  Total Score = 521,749

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

This year, we simplified things a bit -- just two radios and two antennas.  We
signed up Mike W9MC to drive and John W5UP to work some SSB.  Our route was
about 75% the same as last year, with just a little variation on Sunday
afternoon.

It wouldn't be TQP if we didn't have some technical challenges.  This year it
was power distribution.  Not power to the radios -- Madison, KV5V and WK5S
engineered a solid solution for that.  Rather, it was power to the laptops.
Take a look at a laptop power supply sometime -- they take quite a bit of
current.  We thought we might use a cigarette lighter splitter to run a laptop
and a low wattage device, but no luck.  We melted a couple of these top quality
Chinese splitters and had to make a midnight run to Walmart to engineer a
workaround.  We've decided to get a RigRunner for next year.  No more cigarette
lighter plugs for us!

Conditions seemed okay on 20, but pretty poor on 40.  We hit a hard rain on
Saturday afternoon in North Texas.  It was noisy during the rain, but nice and
quiet afterwards.  Sunday, there were storms all around and the noise level was
high almost all day.

Thanks to Mike for keeping us on schedule and out of the ditch, and thanks to
John for being Mr. Fix-It when we had some computer trouble.  John and Madison
really ground out the Qs through the noise on 40.  Thanks to all for hanging in
there with us!