[3830] CaQP VY1AAA(N6DE) SO(A)Fixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP VY1AAA(N6DE) SO(A)Fixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 21:57:41 +0000
California QSO Party

Call: VY1AAA
Operator(s): N6DE
Station: VY1JA

Class: SO(A)Fixed HP
QTH: NT
Operating Time (hrs):
Remote Operation

  160:
   80:   47     2
   40:   61
   20:   51
   15:   33
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------
Total:  192     2  Mults = 44  Total Score = 25,520

Club:

Comments:

VY1JA side:
Elecraft K3S with Remoterig
AL80 amplifier
80m Ground Plane
Tuner

N6DE side:
Elecraft K3 with Remoterig
N1MM+

Many thanks to W1VE and VY1JA who made this remote operation possible.  They
have put in an enormous amount of work behind the scenes to create the VY1AAA
remote station.

I have operated CQP from 11 different counties in CA over the years, have gone
on 13 county expeditions, operated S/O, M/S and M/M, and operated LP and HP.  I
wanted to experience something new in CQP.  Operating remote to VY1 definitely
fulfilled that goal.  I intended to operate VY1AAA remotely last year, but my
father's health was declining.  I canceled those CQP plans last year to spend
some valuable time with him, for which I am extremely grateful, as he passed
away less than a month later.

This was my first time operating remotely in a contest.  Gerry was a great help
to solve all my newbie remote setup problems, and J was a great help with
getting the AL80 working and retuning the amplifier and the tuner for the
ground plane whenever I wanted to change bands and modes.  The remote
connection itself worked flawlessly.

The A index was in double digits the entire contest, and the K index was
between 3 and 5.  Aurora was strongly in effect, yet I was still able to make
some contacts.  20m was very challenging on Saturday, while 15m was better.  On
Sunday, 15m was completely quiet all day, and 20m was better than Saturday.
There was a period of time on Sunday when all bands went quiet.

J's station location has a very low noise level.  I had no trouble hearing QRP
stations.  The first station in my log was W6JTI (QRP).  The real challenge was
CA stations' ability to hear me calling.  Thank you to everyone who heard me
call!  It took your operating skill, a low noise level on your side, and
patience.

The first four contacts in my log were when I was running 100W before J
installed the AL80.  Congrats to W6JTI, K6XX, W6FA and W7YAQ/6 for hearing me!

I really tried to get NT into all of your logs.  If you called CQ on CW, I most
likely called you.  Some of you I called 100 times or more!  And some of you
were easy to contact.  Louder was not always better.  K6AQL/M was consistently
the easiest to contact (8 QSOs).  I tried Phone briefly on 75m and 20m.
Mostly, I couldn't be heard.  Sorry to those I missed who operated Phone only.

Propagation to Northern CA was better than Southern CA for almost the entire
weekend, except for Sunday morning when 20m first opened far south, where W6YI
was the first CA station I heard, and other Southern CA stations soon
thereafter.  W7YAQ/6 in Del Norte was strong all weekend.

Thanks to my XYL who fed me home cooked meals all weekend!

It had been over two years since I operated CW.  Thanks for bearing with me
during the contest, and thanks for the contacts!

73...
-Dean - N6DE