[3830] SAC SSB PJ4DX SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SAC SSB PJ4DX SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2016 13:46:34 +0000
Scandinavian Activity Contest, SSB

Call: PJ4DX
Operator(s): PJ4DX
Station: PJ4DX

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Bonaire
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:    6     5
   40:   27    15
   20:   88    32
   15:   55    21
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  176    73  Total Score = 17,666

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Propagation started off OK on 15m and 20m with some nice strong signals from
Scandinavia on both bands, although the only Europeans heard on 10m were AN400
stations from Spain - nothing from further north at all.

But 15m closed to Scandinavia quite early, and thereafter it was a struggle.
For me, this is almost a 100% 'search and pounce' contest. I gave up calling CQ
because of the number of (mainly) American and Italian stations who were calling
me, making it almost impossible to copy the weaker Scandinavians.

40m was not very good, but 80m was just awful. You know conditions are bad when
you cannot copy a station with whom you have just set up a QSY sked on 40m, and
who you know is running high power to an 80m 3-element Yagi at 180 feet! Yet
just a few weeks ago in WAE I got reports of "like a local" from the
same region on 80m.

Despite the low band conditions, I always enjoy running into old friends in SAC
and will be back next year.

Rig: FT-2000 to Acom 1500 amp at 1kW to Spiderbeam at 11m high, 40m pair of
phased verticals, 80m full-size quarter-wave vertical.

73 Steve PJ4DX