[3830] TBDC KY7M(@NA7TB) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ars-ky7m@cox.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC KY7M(@NA7TB) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 19:18:57 +0000
Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Pre-Stew

Call: KY7M
Operator(s): KY7M
Station: NA7TB

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 9

Total:  QSOs = 237  Total Score = 1,363

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

This was the first use of our new club callsign for the 160m 8-Circle antenna
built by Milt Jensen, N5IA (SK), in Safford, AZ.  The callsign was picked with
"TB" for "Top Band", Milt's favorite band.  We will be
referring to the station as the "Milt Jensen Memorial Station".  It
is being maintained by members of the Arizona Outlaws Contest Club of which
Milt was an enthusiastic member.

The Beverage antennas are not presently usable, so all receiving was done on
the 8-Circle which was very noisy at times.  I had initial problems with the
keying since it was my first time using a K3/0 MINI at the Control station.  It
sounded good in the shack, but was sending garbage on the air when I first fired
up.  After figuring out the problem, keying was much improved with some minor
distortion at times.  We will further refine the RRC settings before the next
160m contest.

It was disappointing not to hear any EU on Saturday night/Sunday morning.  We
are looking forward to some good winter openings to EU.  I did work a number of
stations in Asia on our Sunday morning.  All in all, the contest was a perfect
"warm-up" for the revitalized station.  We still have much more work
to do to get ready for the major 160m contests this season as Milt would have
expected.