[3830] TBDC VE7XF Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC VE7XF Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 03:57:11 +0000
Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Pre-Stew

Call: VE7XF
Operator(s): VE7XF
Station: VE7XF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CN79
Operating Time (hrs): 10

Total:  QSOs = 78  Total Score = 356

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Almost everything is new except the call - new QTH and new antenna.
I've given up the city, with my urban lot and RF-noisy neighbours, and have
moved to a more rural setting - more space (2 acres) and big trees (over 100
ft. :-)

Only a temporary antenna though - a 260' doublet, fed with real open wire line,
up about 75'. At this height, most of my 160m RF is probably going straight up,
but the noise is not as bad as my former location. I'm trying to figure out a
way to get a vertical up, either an inverted L over a tree, or a modification
of my doublet to interrupt the doublet feedline at ground level, short the two
sides together, and make a T-top vertical, with as many radials as I can find
after my move (most boxes still unpacked). I'd like to be able to switch
polarization while operating, to pick whichever antenna is best for a
particular path. Perhaps even a BOG. Maybe I'll be ready by the end of
December.

With everything new, I had no idea what to expect. As usual, sometimes I
couldn't hear them, and sometimes they couldn't hear me. See above about
antenna improvements.

I finally managed Qs with NP2X and KV4FZ, thanks to their sticking with me
during the QSB fades. Sunday morning brought a couple of JAs, but nothing else
heard off the continent (except for a few KH6es). And nil from the usual VE3,
VE2 and VY2 gang.

My best DX was a 16 pointer - JH2FXK at 4624 miles (7441 km).
CU in the next one.

Ralph, VE7XF
now in CN79mq