[3830] CQWW SSB N9TF SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9tf@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N9TF SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 01:41:36 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N9TF
Operator(s): N9TF
Station: N9TF

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 16

  160:    4     2        2
   80:    8     5        6
   40:   30     9       23
   20:   74    18       43
   15:   79    19       43
   10:   28     9       23
------------------------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

>From the perspective of a puny 100 watt, low small antenna station, the bands
sucked! But, that's what we have to play with for propagation now as we slid
down into the sunspot minimum. I was hoping to do a little more on 40 and 80,
but I just could not be heard through all the bigger stations and noise. Spent
a lot of time calling stations I never worked. From my perspective, conditions
on 40 and 80 were a bit better Friday night than Saturday night. Worked most of
my DX on those bands Friday night. Mostly SA and Caribbean, and a handful of EU.
Saturday night I did not hear any EU on 40 or 80, and SA and CA signals were
much weaker and mostly the same stations I worked the night before.

15m was best for me to work EU Saturday. I heard a lot of EU on 20 Saturday,
very well, but they were not hearing me. I had some better luck with EU on 20
Sunday morning, even though their signals were weaker than the day before and
watery/fluttery. Trans Equatorial prop was the name of the game on 15 and 20,
and for a short time on 10.

Missed all of Sunday afternoon as I had a date to play a round of golf. Got
back in the chair and worked the last 1.5 hours, toggling between 15 and 20.
Found quite a few more SA and CA stations to work, and even a couple EU on 20.
Never heard any JA even though quite a few were spotted.

Looking forward to CQWW CW. Even with low power and small antennas, I feel
better about getting my signal heard through the noise.

I did get a chance to work ZL7G on 12 and 15 when no new stations could be
found. Tried running a few times, but it's hard to run when no one answers your
call? I think I worked three stations in a 20 minute run attempt.
It was kind of cool though to squeak through the west coast wall and grab A31MM
on 15, and earlier squeak through the SE wall and grab ZD8W, also on 15m.
This has to be the first DX contest where I did not work at least one Italy
station. Not that I didn't hear any. Heard quite a few, they just didn't hear
me!

Ready for SS next!

73 Gene N9TF

Operating conditions: K3S 100 watts to 2 element triband at 37', 40/80
shortened dipole at 35', shortened (67') 160m half sloper at 35'.