[3830] CQWW SSB W6YX(N7MH) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W6YX(N7MH) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 05:02:05 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:
   40:  566    27       63
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Too much happening earlier in the week and watching grandkids until late
Thursday meant I was up until after 2 AM Friday morning driving to the station
and getting the radios and computer set up.

I had planned to operate until 1600Z (9 AM local) both days but was too tired
to continue and went home at 1200 on Saturday to sleep. Since I missed the long
path EU opening on Saturday I left for home at 1000 on Sunday, slept a few hours
and was back by 1330. I only worked one EU long path and a total of 3, including
CR6K in the final minute of the contest.

I need to figure out how to manage sleep if I want to do better on a night-time
band.

I shared the shack with K2YY/6 who was SOSB 15 HP sitting at the adjacent
console position. My second radio was of marginal help since there was a lot of
interference from the run radio when beaming JA. I was also mostly not being
heard with the inverted vee on the second radio.

I heard a few EU when the contest started but couldn't break through the east
coast callers so I planned to call them later in the evening but they could no
longer be heard. Both evenings several of the EU big guns came in weakly on a
skew or scatter path over South America but none of them could hear me. I
recall hearing 9A1P, IR4X, IR4M, OK7W, HG6N and TM6M. I didn't work zone 15 or
16.

Several multipliers were only heard below the US phone band and never operating
split at any time when I heard them. Most of these were heard during the
long-path EU opening.

The highlight of the contest was being called by a string of 6 ZS stations on
the second evening. All were just at the noise level and took several
go-arounds to get the callsigns.

My QSO count includes 51 zero-pointers, 285 JA, 3 Europe, 18 Africa, 56
Oceania.

Thanks for all the QSOs and repeats.

73,
-Mike, N7MH