[3830] CQWW SSB AT2W(W1UE) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, egan.dennis88@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB AT2W(W1UE) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 08:26:38 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: AT2W
Operator(s): W1UE
Station: VU2NKS

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: INDIA
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    3     3        3
   40:  101    19       42
   20:  196    18       55
   15:  434    25       78
   10:   36    10       23
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

CQWW SSB 2016 will probably go down as probably the year with the fewest records
ever being set.  From VU, conditions seemed to be abysmal.  During the contest,
not only did I not work any stations from W/VE (and, yes, I did look for K3LR,
K1LZ, W3LPL, and KC1XX in their usual spots), I never even HEARD any station
from W/VE.  Closest I came to hearing a W/VE station was V4 and 8P.  With PJ4X,
they were the only Caribbean stations that I heard/worked.

So, conditions were a bust, but they were the same for all.  Mr Murphy, though,
made his usual presence know.  Friday night, about 6pm local, the SteppIR
developed a problem.  It would not tune properly.  Nandu VU2NKS calibrated it,
changed bands with it, and the SWR remained high after the first band change.
At 2AM local Sat, with the contest start at 5:30am local, the Stepp IR was
ruled out until it could be fixed.  Nandu, Prasad VU2PTT, and Deepak VU2CDP
dropped the crankup tower, pulled the SteppIR assemblies off the mast, then
cranked the tower part of the way up; they then diagnosed and fixed the problem
and the task was completed about 9pm local Saturday night.

While they were busy with that task, I was operating.  Without the SteppIR, my
antenna was an 80M dipole with a XMatch antenna tuner.  I started the contest
at 0000Z, and attempted to work Europe on 40M in vain.  I simply could not
break the European wall with that antenna and 100 watts, on either 40 or 80M.
My first QSO was with HS0ZIA on 15m at 0140Z.  I kept at it, off and on, having
to spend some periods of off time when they were disassembling/assembling the
SteppIR assemblies.  At 1630Z, the SteppIR now repaired, my totals for the
first 16 hours of operating were 59Q 18Z 33C. Most of the Qs were 1-pt Asians.
The good news was that I was now at full strength; the bad news was that I had
missed the European run times on the high bands for the day.

Sunday was much better than Saturday.  Best hour was at 0800Z, with a 75.
Several other hours were over 50.

Highlights: Working HS0ZIA on 80M.  We made  a sked, and kept it.  Working 8P5A
and PJ4X on 40M  the last hour of the contest.  PJ4X on 40M- op did a great job.
 Got called by a YB, then stopped the pileup from Europe and only worked Asians
for a couple of minutes.  I don't know how he held the Europeans at bay, but he
probably added a dozen mults in 5 minutes by doing so!

Lowlights: I missed out on about a dozen mults on 80M due to the frequency
allocations in VU.  In the last several hours, I had requests from a number of
stations to QSY to 80M.  They would also give me their frequency- 3711, 3770,
3754.  I would come back with no, I can go to 3691, and they would come back
with their frequency again.  Well, if you want the double mult from VU on 80M,
you need to know that VUs can't transmit above 3700KHz.  I can and did work a
few stations on 80M, but I never transmitted above 3700KHz.  So, in your
notebooks for next year, make a note of that.  If you want the VU double mult
on 80M, you need to have a frequency below 3700.

All in all, it was a fun contest.  Its nice to be the DX!  Working from W1, you
never hear people thank you for the multiplier, but you get it frequently here.
Even with the antenna problem, it was a successful contest.  If no antenna
problem, even with the poor conditions, I still would have made my pre-contest
goal of 1000Qs LP SSB.

I'd like to thank Nandu VU2NKS, for the use of his fine station, and his wife
Cuckoo, for the hospitality in opening their residence and station for me.  I'd
like to thank Prasad VU2PTT and Deepak VU2CDP for their ongoing support and work
on my behalf.  I'd also like to thank ARSI, Amateur Radio Society of India, for
their support in this operation.

Dennis W1UE/AT2W