[3830] CQWW SSB GW4BLE SOAB Classic LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, steve.gw4ble@btconnect.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB GW4BLE SOAB Classic LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 17:15:20 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: GW4BLE
Operator(s): GW4BLE
Station: GW4BLE

Class: SOAB Classic LP
QTH: Newport
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:    7     2        7
   80:   83     6       27
   40:   84    11       42
   20:  359    16       55
   15:  156    16       61
   10:   43    13       24
------------------------------

Club: THREE A'S CONTEST GROUP

Comments:

Currently recuperating from major surgery meant that a more laid-back approach
to CQWW was on the cards this year.

Actually getting to the shack had been a challenge, but I was determined to do
at least something in THE contest of the year.  I managed to get on for UKEICC
the week before, albeit with just a handful of check-log Qs.

So, what to do for CQWW.  With warnings from the XYL not to 'over do it', any
idea of SO2R or full-on single band activity wasn't an option. Indeed, due to
the health issues I'd arranged for my tower to be retracted for the fall/winter
period - even with the electric winch getting it down on my own in bad weather
wouldn't be practical during the recuperation period.

The 24 hour LP classic looked to be an option, having said that even operating
for half the allocated period could be a challenge. We had some domestic
arrangements to sort out, in essence it would mean missing potential HF band
openings to NA at certain times and no overnight activity.

In any contest i always like to set a target, sure world first is always nice,
but a more realistic local record was more appropriate given the circumstances.
For me it was the 24 LP Classic GW record.

Now the dust has settled, logs submitted, audio on line
(http://gw4ble.dxlist.co.uk), and having had an extra sleep this afternoon, it
was time to post to 3830.

N1MM+ shows I was QRV a total of 15 out of the permitted 24 hours - what a
wimp, just 15 hours and *still* tired ;-)

Everyone knows what conditions were like, probably the worst I've experienced
in over 40+ years of CQWW, but whatever the sun throws at us (or not) wouldn't
miss THE contest for anything.

CU next year

Steve
GW4BLE