[3830] CQWW SSB KC1XX M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, konecc@snet.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KC1XX M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2016 02:46:24 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KC1XX
Operator(s): KC1XX DL1QQ DL4NAC K1CC W1FV WA1Z
Station: KC1XX

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: New Hampshire
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   70    13       37
   80:  511    25       97
   40: 1020    28      119
   20: 2121    34      139
   15:  974    27      116
   10:  234    21       62
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

This year was a return of most of last year's team, with the addition of Bob
WA1Z and Sandy DL1QQ.  The rest of the team consisted of Matt KC1XX, John W1FV,
 Martin DL4NAC and Rich K1CC.

We went into the contest with the expectation of poor conditions and they lived
up to their promise.   There were some moments of joy when we actually managed
to run Europe on 10m on Sunday and run JA's on 20m on Sunday evening, though we
never worked one on 15m.   Working Europe on 40 after European sunrise with the
high antenna (300 ft) always brings a big smile and some surprised voices in
Europe.  All in all, we managed a reasonable rate for most of the contest,
except around 01Z the second day when we all put down our headphones, looked at
each other and all shrugged our shoulders -- there was just nothing to work!
The low band conditions the second night had to have been some of the worst
that any of us had ever experienced.

Matt's station worked almost flawlessly with the exception of one trip up the
tower on Sunday morning to free up a stuck Tailtwister.  Unlike the new and
improved K1LZ high-tech automated station, our antenna switching and selection
system is decidedly low-tech.  Congratulations to Sandy (as a first-time
operator) for being a quick learner in mastering the complexity of antenna
selection (of which there are many!) and band changing.  The payoff of manual
switching is hopefully improved station reliability and Matt's station
engineering did not let us down once again.

Our thanks to Matt and Juana for their wonderful hospitality and for what
turned out to be a very enjoyable weekend, despite the conditions.

--- Rich K1CC for the KC1XX team