[3830] CQWW SSB 3V8SS(KF5EYY) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ash.kf5eyy@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB 3V8SS(KF5EYY) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2016 16:58:43 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: 3V8SS
Operator(s): KF5EYY
Station: 3V8SS

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Sousse
Operating Time (hrs): 43h00
Radios: SO2R

  160:   57     5       25
   80:  374    11       55
   40:  447    15       65
   20: 1279    23       81
   15: 1071    25       85
   10:  479    15       65
------------------------------

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

All signs were telling me; my previous personal records won’t be broken in
this year’s WW SSB despite the recent improvements on the station’s setup.
A 7300 is being used as main radio. The second radio is more efficient now with
the lined up LBS filters and triplexer (manual coax switching). A new antenna
installed for 160m band. A second computer was used with a separate keyboard
for dual CQing…

Apart from propagation indexes, the weather satellite map was showing lightning
approaching Sousse city which means an awful low bands operation.
Contest start on 40 and 80 was slow and I can tell, I had to wait 20 minutes to
make the second QSO!!

After sunrise, the conditions on high bands were less bad than expected. The
curve against 2015 objective showed that I’m more or less following last
year’s performance. Day 1 ended up with 2.2 kQSOs.

I got 3 hours of sleep at midnight dreaming of more than 2000 Qs next day but
conditions were bad enough to widen the gap against 2015 numbers. This year’s
score is 24% less than last year. I got a unique JA station in my log!! (vs 240
last year and 160 in 2012). The MUF plot by a close ionosonde did barely exceed
28 MHz for a short time and was below 21 MHz most of the time (Day 2).

On Day 1, only few S&P Qs were made on 10. On Sunday, I heard quiet few EUs
and decided to start a run for the short skip. A pileup kicked off! Signals were
extremely weak in an extremely quiet band but readable enough to log QSOs (Tnx
7300!).

My 44-hours contest operation was comfortable. I didn’t feel any ‘strong’
need to sleep. Storing sleep remains a theory but for me it is proven by
experience. Getting 8.5 hours of sleep in each of the 7 nights preceding the
contest helped a lot. (On Friday night I could only sleep one hour after a
stressful working day and 130 km drive to Sousse).

I appreciate everyone’s band moves which worked at 90%. Thanks to CT1ILT,
N6TV, 3V/F4HJD, 3V/KG5OUE for the help and support.

See you all in the CW leg Insh’Allah!

73 Ash 3V/KF5EYY
www.kf5eyy.info (with MUF plots)