[3830] CQWW SSB K3ZJ SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K3ZJ SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2016 04:08:14 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K3ZJ
Operator(s): K3ZJ
Station: K3ZJ

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  577    31      106
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The 20 meter reflector fell off the C31XR tribander the day before the contest.
But the remaining director & driven element seemed to be useable as a
2-element beam with the short 13.6 foot (4.14 meter) spacing.  Given
conditions, I decided to go 20 meter SOSB notwithstanding the impaired antenna.

Most QSOs were S&P because I was never able to run despite multiple tries.
I had trouble working EU all weekend.  But there were a couple of notable hours
during which I felt that the antenna worked miracles. During the hour or two of
Pacific propagation early Sunday morning I woke me up to hear and work multiple
VK/ZL as well as rarer VP6AH, A31MM, T32AZ, VK6NZ for zone 29, and FR4NT long
path for zone 39.  Then near the end of the contest UP2L in zone 17 broke
through VERY late, at 2230; and an hour later B7K in zone 24 answered my first
call through a horrendous pileup.

The final score is less than 1/2 the score I made two decades ago when I last
operated 20 meters single band in this contest.  But notwithstanding the poor
result, it always is a pleasure to get on the air and greet friends and
acquaintances old and new.