[3830] CQWW SSB K1VR(KC1CWF) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K1VR(KC1CWF) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 01:15:29 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1VR
Operator(s): KC1CWF
Station: K1VR

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 39
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

SOAB(A)(R)

Well it was fun!

Thanks to K1VR for letting me use his great station, and Icom America for
letting me borrow a pair of IC-7300s to use for the contest. This was my first
time ever doing a very serious single op for any of the big few contests, as
well as my first time operating the full CQ WW. I was able to put in a large
amount of work at K1VR leading up to the contest installing a new 160m array,
and repairing his 80m phased verticals. Sadly, there was so little 160 prop,
that it was pathetic. Obviously as everyone has said, condx were terrible, and
I had quite a few low rate hours. Also, in the days leading up to the contest,
the antenna switching system failed, which lead to me not being able to use the
second tower at K1VR which was planned to be used as a South tower on the high
bands.

There were time where I just couldn't get rate running, but could get plenty
searching and pouncing. I only got 2 decent runs in Saturday, although it got
better Sunday. Friday night was the worst, and I went to bed after EU sunrise
with less than 200 QSOs in the log.

Highlights:
10m EU opening Sunday
Amazing runs on the last hr on 40 while calling mults on 80.
Crazy late night openings on the high bands to JA/ZL that were better than the
low bands.

Mistakes:
Although I really wanted to run a ton, there were a lot of times I didn't. I'm
still not sure if I really couldn't or just thought I couldn't.

Because of the above, I didn't push the second radio very hard, as SO2R S&P
is harder than what I can handle at the moment.

Not staying motivated as I should when rate got slow.

Good job everyone, and see you on CW (I'll be home)