[3830] SS CW WI9WI Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzpa@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] SS CW WI9WI Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 19:42:37 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Winter, WI
Operating Time (hrs): 18
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  167
   40:  214
   20:  215
   15:   91
   10:    0
------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

I first operated in this contest 56 years ago as K3EXV in EPA when it was a two
weekend contest. This was my 37th consecutive year since 1980 from WI. I've
operated it from our cabin in northern WI since 1984, save one year when a
severe snow/ice storm led me to decide it was too dangerous to make the 500
mile round trip. This year I got up there Friday evening and spent a couple of
hours setting up the radios. The next day it was 68 degrees an sunny. I spent a
couple of hours in shorts and t-shirt repairing a couple of my beverages from
deadfall and deer damage. Certainly no snow or ice. I wasn't feeling really
enthusiastic at the start and made a command decision to try to put in at least
20 hours, but sleep 6 hours Saturday night and take another 3 hours to listen to
the Packers game Sunday afternoon. I tried starting on 40 but could get nothing
going. So I went to 15 and then 20 to try to get the far away mults like AK,
NT, PR, VI and NL which have tended to be my nemeses. It was mostly S&P but
I got most of the mults save NL. I was able to run on 20 and then 40 and 80
later in the evening. All the bands were pretty quiet up here. I lost about an
hour and a half about midnight when I had a radio problem which led me to take
all the covers off the K3. After my sleep I ran on 40 and then 20 for several
hours with pretty good rates. After that it was short runs interspersed with
S&P. By late Sunday afternoon I had all the mults save VE5, RI and NL. Two
VE5s called in with about 2 hours to go, and I found RI on the low end of 80
with 8 minutes to go. In spite of splitting my Run/S&P time about 60/40 I
never heard an NL. So for about the 10th or more time in the past 37 years I
missed the sweep by one mult. I miss my 100 ft tower with 40 and 20 meter
monobanders :>(.

Gear: K3, 500 watt amp, C-19 and dipole for 80/40
Radio 2: Elderly IC-706. It works fine, the operator isn't so good. I did get a
fair amount of practice at it during slow runs. I worked at least one mult I
might never have gotten otherwise.

Thanks for all the QSOs.

73 Jim