[3830] SS SSB W9QL SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W9QL SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 17:56:49 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W9QL
Operator(s): W9QL
Station: W9QL

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 14

------------
  160:
   80:  195
   40:   96
   20:   55
   15:   56
   10:
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

SS Phone was the first contest I ever worked many years ago, so I always try to
make a good showing. I was happy to see 15 open to the west early on. I usually
start on 15, when the band cooperates. Sometimes AK and NT will pop up and get
into the log early. Not this year, though. I did sweep the 6's and 7's (save
for UT) in the first two hours, including PAC. N3FJP's logging program has the
map feature, and it was interesting to watch how propagation was affecting
sections logged. Operating low power always presents a challenge. Once a rare
section is spotted it is very difficult to get through the pileups. My
experience has been to work S&P at the beginning but then try and get a run
going on 40 and 80 in the evening. A lot of the sections some folks seemed to
miss actually called me (NE, MS, DE). Bedtime came and I was still missing NT,
NL, PR and SC. I was a little worried that both NT and NL were not in the log
on Saturday, but Sunday morning there they both were. In fact, I worked three
NL's almost in a row. PR was strong on 15 and easily worked. So, that left SC.
Not sure why they were so tough this year. I saw them spotted on 40 about noon,
but they were really weak with a huge pileup. So, I waited about 20 minutes and
threw my call out. He took another call and then said "who was the
nine?" I threw my call out again and the sweep was in the books at 12:18
local (10 hours of operating). Then, with the sweep behind me, I could have
some fun just trying to add to the score and not worry about watching spots.
Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and holiday season.

Dave
W9QL
FTdx5000MP with a G5RV @ 35ft.